Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Scott
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, rode through Longview, Texas in Memorial Day parade with about 500 other bikes, big flags cracking in the breeze with families along the route waving and holding flags. Passed a retired USMC Gunny Sergeant in full dress blues standing in his drive way presenting arms as the flags went by. Beside him was a vet in a wheel chair, also rendering a crisp salute. Brings tears to my eyes two days later just thinking about it.

Yesterday, rode over into Louisiana with a buddy to attend PGR support of wreath laying ceremony at veteran's cemetery south of Shreveport. Again the big flags cracked as we rumbled by the assembled families of those interred in that hallowed place. They clapped, and I teared up again.

God bless this great land, her people, all who have perished defending her, and all who mourn their passing. John 15:13: Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is what it's about. My wife is doing her thesis for her Masters. Our world revolves around that and my son's HS graduation for now. No long rides for a bit, only quickies.

It wasn't a breeze at home. I had 4 flags out, 3 came down in the "breeze."

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
My wife I attended the NW LA ceremony. Rode In with my American Legion Rider group as part of the PGR mission. Hot, windy....no place else I'd rather have been. 

On another note, I just heard that the LA legislature approved the funding (which they had already taken away) for veterans affairs. Without that approval, the veterans cemetery would have had to close. We worked hard writing and calling. We applied great pressure and got the money back. 

Ride safe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Was in DC for Rolling THunder. Awesome ride. Very emotional as ya ride through DC and veterans stand there and salute you. Was moved to tears when a WWII vet in a wheel chair was sitting side the road waving at us. Was an outstanding Memorial Day weekend and left DC with my head screwed on a little more in the right direction. It will get there someday.:patriot:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Thanks to all you guys for honoring our fallen heroes....

I guess I am starting to finally realize I am getting older...because I wish most of our younger generations would learn something from our veterans and show you the respect you ALL so rightfully deserve...

No parades or Memorial Rides here, so I just spent part of the day at our State Veterans Home visiting....

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
It was a great weekend for me as well. Saturday did a Medal of Honor Memorial with the INPG. Sunday a "Some gave all" ceremony with the INPG. Finally, Monday a Medal of Honor Memorial and Memorial Day ceremony with the INPG. 600 miles total.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts