Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 vtx 1300c with cobra pipes there has been no other mods done to the bike but my pipes are getting hot enough to deform the plastic cover that sits right next to the pipes. What do I do and will that damage anything other than the cover. thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
The answer is that you rejet :) That will cool the pipes, give you better performance, a cooler running engine, and usually better fuel mileage.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you . I thought you didn't have to rejett if you didn't change the air box is there any truth to that

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
Yes, it is true that if you only change pipes and not the airbox, that you do not need to rejet. However, this applies only to whether or not rejetting is necessary to deal with the new pipes. If you have some other problem such as an engine running very lean (low fuel, high air flow) which makes the engine run hotter, then rejetting may be necessary to fix this other problem.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,132 Posts
You could get away with doing the scar mod to richen it up a little

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
If you can locate chromed ABS side covers, it might help. My HK3's only have maybe 1/4" clearance between the side covers and the pipes. The black stock cover melted like warm cheese, but after replacing with the chromed ones, I haven't had any problem. I'm not the engineer Vinish is, but I believe the reflective properties of the chromed plastic stopped it. Try Big Bike Parts. Thats what is stamped on them. I bought them 2nd hand.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
EPA demands all manufacturers.. to meet a Clean Air ACT.... so lean is a way of life..

also.. if the Cobra pipes are newly installed.. it could be a gap issue between the pipe and side cover..

but if pipes have need on the bike for years.. then is a very lean condition..
vacuum leak.. at a hose or intake tube between the carburetor and engine

else.
then re-jetting is needed.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,453 Posts
Who installed the pipes?
You?
Did you remove both front and rear crush gaskets and replace with new?
Torque the nuts properly using open nuts or washers under acorns?

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
And make sure the exhaust flanges haven't been over-torqued which causes them to bend in a curve. The curve needs straightening out. I did mine in a bench vise. Aftermarket flanges are thinner than stock, so bend easier.

Reactions: sumdatx and IndyX

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Melted my right side cover as well. Turned out to be a flange gasket leak. with backfire. Fixed it, installed a new gasket and no more heat or backfiring. These exhaust "donut" gaskets are sometimes hard to see and to remove. Did you open up the air fuel screw to at least 2 or 2.5 ?? Like Chuck said, VTX1300's came new very lean.
(y)

·
Registered
16,479 Posts
So did the 1800's.

Reactions: sumdatx
1 - 13 of 13 Posts