Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have great lockable leather bags installed with EZ Brackets. Bought the bags used from a member here. I love them. But the exhaust pipes sure do make a lot of heat to the bottom of the right one. Does not look like there is any burn damage though after a few thousand miles. Just wondering if I put Cobra Slip Ons will that make any difference, like do they get hotter than stock pipes? And are they dimensionaly different? I have a 2007 VTX1800F1.:hmm2:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I'm no help being I still have the stocker's but I'm guessing the slip ons will get just as hot if not hotter than the stock pipe

I went a different route and got creative with mine, I have a 13C so the top pipe is higher than the others models just like yours is, so I took two pieces of 16ga sheetmetal cut to the same size as the bottom of my bags and then bent a slight arch to them. Then I put on inside my bag and one under it and put in some rivets to sandwich the two together. What that did with the arch was create a much larger air gap over the pipe but it didn't change the look of the bag from the side. (and I only lost about an inch of storage inside the bag)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've seen one catch on fire on a 1985/86 Honda 650 water cooled V engine. Don't remember what it was called exactly, but bag and contents were burnt. From Nogales, thru Patagonia, then Sierra Vista; that's when we realized a whole thru the bottom of the bag and a burnt t-shirt.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. There is supposedly some kind of heat resistant shell at the bottom of the bags so I am not too concerned about fire but possible outer leather burn.....the bags are removable with carry straps so if I ever do remove them I guess I should let them cool off. There is also a top handle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
you should have at least 3" clearance between the bottom of your bags and the exhaust if possible. You can reduce this depending on the bag material. If you want to know how the cobra pipes will fit with the bags take a look at the pictures on the cobra website and use the visual clues such as how much brake rotor can you see. I changed out to C exhaust on my F to get them as low as possible. Sold the F with stock pipes and put the C pipes on my N.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts