Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just inspected my tires and I am not sure if it was the weather changing so rapidly...my back tire has big cracks that were not there.
I believe i should change them already.
But maybe this cracks are not a big deal.

Please let me know if i am crazy to keep riding like this.
Or if i have some time left to change them.
As well as recommendations for a set of tires that are good.

Thank You.

Here are the photos.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Those cracks are not normal and look like a catastrophe in the making. I recommend not riding 5 ft on those tires. Best place to buy new tires is online at Rocky Mt. ATV. They have great selection, lowest prices I have found anywhere, fast shipping, and free shipping. When they arrive, take the wheels off yourself and you can find a local independent bike shop that will change the tires on the wheels you provide (off the bike) and balance them for ~$30-$35 per wheel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those cracks are not normal and look like a catastrophe in the making. I recommend not riding 5 ft on those tires. Best place to buy new tires is online at Rocky Mt. ATV. They have great selection, lowest prices I have found anywhere, fast shipping, and free shipping. When they arrive, take the wheels off yourself and you can find a local independent bike shop that will change the tires on the wheels you provide (off the bike) and balance them for ~$30-$35 per wheel.
Thank You!

I would not be able to take them apart, because i do not have a way to lift the bike.
And i have zero experience doing that.
I would rather take it to a place where they do it all....and i bring the tires purchased from Rocky as you recommend.

1- How much should that service go for?

2- I also saw this post in this Vtx CAfe
I will ask them to do this also which seems important...

3- I am looking at Rocky's Website.....and I am planning to get Shimko's front and rear...because they are less expensive and many people say they are good enough.
Should i choose any model specifically?
What are your thoughts on this brand and models?
Anything better for not so much money than this Shimkos??

I believe i could use this oportunity to change the bearings on both wheels and maybe change the oil on the front forks....because it seems too soft. And i heard that the progressive ones are too tough,,,and many people got great results by just changing the oil.

I know....many questions.

But i do not want to lose the oportunity of getting all the issues resolved at once.

Thank You

Leandro

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,223 Posts
My local Honda dealer will match any price on line and mount for free if the wheels are off the bike. It might be cheaper in your case to shop locally. As far as cost goes, you can pay for service or buy the necessary tools and work on it yourself. That's just my way of thinking.

Reactions: IndyX

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My local Honda dealer will match any price on line and mount for free if the wheels are off the bike. It might be cheaper in your case to shop locally. As far as cost goes, you can pay for service or buy the necessary tools and work on it yourself. That's just my way of thinking.
My local dealer is very bad.
The other day i went to check my vtx1300 because it was poping a lot....i thought it needed a carb cleaning and rejetting....
They told me i had to purchase a new carburator....they quote me a lot of money.
I came back home and search here..and found the answer at the VTX cafe. I had to adjust the A/f screw with the little round thing under the air filter.
Solved. No more popping.
Zero dollars thanks to you guys.

My mechanical skills are none....I have no way of lifting the bike and no good tools. nor any experience.
That is why i prefer to pay for someone taking the wheels apart and changing the tires.
I saw a video of 3 guys changing the tires to a VTX and it seemed too much for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have decided to change the tires for:

Front: Shinko 777. ------- $74.08
Rear: Shinko 230---------$92.80

I will purchase from RockyMountain.

This tire situation messed up my weekend riding plans ( The weather in Miami now is beautiful to ride)

Anyway....I will comeback with pictures when it is done.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
The problem when you buy online and then take what you buy to a shop to then have THEM do the work for you, if they will even do it, because you bought elsewhere, you will pay through the nose for them to do it. Then it becomes a matter of trust too, for them to actually do the work, and do it RIGHT! Many refer to them as STEALERS, not dealers. It would be the same as you going to your favorite supermarket, buying some groceries, then going to a restaurant and expecting them to cook YOUR food for you. UH-UH! The smaller independent shops aren't as fussy about that. You will find that if you spend $100 for a bike jack/ lift, it will pay for itself in a short time, and you will learn to DIY, save your $$, and learn about wrenching on your bike stuff you will not learn by taking it to a shop and letting them "do it for me". Thats lazy, man. The people here, and on the VTXOA, will answer your questions and walk you through anything that needs work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That place telling you that u need a new carb is exactly why I do my own work whenever I can. As mentioned, get a lift. You can probably get one from HF cheap. Removing tires and reinstalling them is very easy with some basic tools, maybe a bigger wrench or socket. We can help you step by step. As far as the tires, I would get a different brand like metzeler. That's what I have always used. But, i have never checked the reviews on the ones you are looking at. I have always bought the tires online and had my dealer install them for me (I take the wheels to them). They charge around $40 for everything (mounting , balancing, and valve stems)

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
I echo the opinions of others that a lift (~$100 at Harbor Freight) and a stand (~$20 using the plans here on the Cafe and made from 2x4 lumber) will pay for themselves quickly. However, not everyone has even basic tools and removing tires requires a particularly large socket or closed end wrench which is not what I would consider part of a "basic" tool set. Further, not everyone has the mechanical aptitude or even the place in which to do the work. Imagine someone living in an apartment complex without garages. Where could they even do this work? When I was fresh out of university, I lived in Michigan in a nice apartment complex for two years that prohibited doing any mechanical work on cars or bikes. You were not even allowed to wash your vehicle in your spot (or anywhere else) in the complex. Lastly, not everyone has the time available in which to do the work. There are some folks for whom time is more valuable than money.

While I encourage Miami-Leandro and everyone else to do their own bike work if possible, not everyone can or should.

·
Registered
2004 1300S, converted to 1300T
18 Posts
If you buy tires from Cyclegear.com Cycle Gear will change your tires for $25 per tire. You will have to take your tires off the bike and bring them in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, It is not lazyness. Trust me.
It is being the most realistic I can.

1- My car is broken down and i rely on my Vtx as my main form of transportation.

2- I live in a Warehouse. Where I have printing machines and sofa-Bed.
I can not fit a motorcycle lifter....and i am technically prohibited to do mechanic work where I live.
(which I am not allowed to live legally in this warehouse according to Miami-Dade Code)

3- I do not own a set of quality tools and have no experience.

Trust me, if I had a house with a garage I would definetely buy my self a good quality lift and tools and so on.
But this is not the moment.
I rather pay $100 dollars to a pro....to do it for me.
And I am back riding for the next 10k miles or more.

I will still do mechanic work on my bike...like brakes, Spark Plugs, changing fluids and so on.

But certain work I rather pay for it, I really do not have the space to keep a "motorcycle station" now.

Thank You!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Guys, It is not lazyness. Trust me.
It is being the most realistic I can.

1- My car is broken down and i rely on my Vtx as my main form of transportation.

2- I live in a Warehouse. Where I have printing machines and sofa-Bed.
I can not fit a motorcycle lifter....and i am technically prohibited to do mechanic work where I live.
(which I am not allowed to live legally in this warehouse according to Miami-Dade Code)

3- I do not own a set of quality tools and have no experience.

Trust me, if I had a house with a garage I would definetely buy my self a good quality lift and tools and so on.
But this is not the moment.
I rather pay $100 dollars to a pro....to do it for me.
And I am back riding for the next 10k miles or more.

I will still do mechanic work on my bike...like brakes, Spark Plugs, changing fluids and so on.

But certain work I rather pay for it, I really do not have the space to keep a "motorcycle station" now.

Thank You!
My apology.

Reactions: Miami-Leandro

·
Registered
100 Posts
I daily drive myself man, I don't own a car. So I understand the sentiment. Some work, I just don't feel comfortable doing. I don't have time for me to mess something up, then I am down a bike. I am fortunate enough to have two bikes, so I am very grateful for that.

But yeah, one way or another, you gotta get those tires changed. That is not safe for you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I daily drive myself man, I don't own a car. So I understand the sentiment. Some work, I just don't feel comfortable doing. I don't have time for me to mess something up, then I am down a bike. I am fortunate enough to have two bikes, so I am very grateful for that.

But yeah, one way or another, you gotta get those tires changed. That is not safe for you!
Yes that is my situation.
I also have a police car purchased from Vero Beach Police Dept.
Which I am about to fix the alternator. :)

My neighbour said he has a motorcycle lift....he might help me he said.
My bike is still waiting to go back to the race. :)

But I understand the members of this forum, they try to convince us that is not so difficult to fix the bike and also give us their help.
I am very thankful to everybody with that attitude towards a stranger in Miami, too. :)

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
There have been other members here from Miami. Nothing to do with geography. I am in regular contact with someone from this forum, from Miami. I'm in no way volunteering his services, but maybe.....if he would see this thread, and reach out to you as a new friend, you might be surprised.

Reactions: Miami-Leandro

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There have been other members here from Miami. Nothing to do with geography. I am in regular contact with someone from this forum, from Miami. I'm in no way volunteering his services, but maybe.....if he would see this thread, and reach out to you as a new friend, you might be surprised.
Cool Paxman!
Tell your friend to come around.....we can have a beer and complain about miami traffic. :)
Miami Traffic is insane, by the way.
When people see the LEFT TURN ARROW in red, they understand it as a "You can make a left regardless of the color" kind of thing. :)

Every week we have a near death experience riding down here. :)

Bring your friend PAxman!

Thank You!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!
I just inspected my tires and I am not sure if it was the weather changing so rapidly...my back tire has big cracks that were not there.
I believe i should change them already.
But maybe this cracks are not a big deal.

Please let me know if i am crazy to keep riding like this.
Or if i have some time left to change them.
As well as recommendations for a set of tires that are good.

Thank You.

Here are the photos.

View attachment 240777 View attachment 240778 View attachment 240779 View attachment 240780 View attachment 240781
Get those off NOW! I have been in the tire industry for 40+ years, so I am not blowing smoke. It isn't just the chance that you will flip tread, but moisture is getting down into the casing. You run these hot and what happens is that the moisture expands and wicks into the belt package. Hope you're wearin' full leathers a helmet and have really good insurance, my friend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get those off NOW! I have been in the tire industry for 40+ years, so I am not blowing smoke. It isn't just the chance that you will flip tread, but moisture is getting down into the casing. You run these hot and what happens is that the moisture expands and wicks into the belt package. Hope you're wearin' full leathers a helmet and have really good insurance, my friend.
Hey!!
Thanks for the heads up.
I am not riding the bike until i change the tires....no doubt.
Thankfully i saw this situation....before seeing it....i was going 80mph on the highway.
Thank God i did not blow in the air.

I am in the process of making the change. do not worry.
It seems like they want me on this earth. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi People!

After all I ended up changing the tires.

Front: Shinko 777

Back: Shinko Tourmaster

It was $178 bucks Shipped by Rocky Mountain!
+ $120 for the mechanic labor.

$298

The Shinkos Ride super well...with 40psi.
Super nice riding.

Just wanted to offer the last info...

:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts