Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install a Tow-Pac Trike kit. Is there any one on here that has installed one on a 1300s? The poor tech guy has been doing this for 14 years and hasn't had this kind of problems.
Please no crappy remarks. I am a 73 year old woman trying to put this thing together in Las Vegas heat, with a little help on tuesday. The adjustments just won't make the kit function as it is supposed to. I have taken pictures, video, and talked to the tech guy who by now is starting to mumble. I on the other hand have a trike kit that I can not make function.
Any help would be appreciated. TIA

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
What are the problems?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the problems?
The adjustments on each wheel need to be exact. If they aren't the bike will pull to one side or the other. This bike keeps pulling to the right, badly. No matter what I do to the adjustments. This is supposed to come from the factory set at optimum for this bike make and model. It should have been a fit out of the crate, but it wasn't. They tell me I have it together correctly. Just can't figure out why the adjustments won't work.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
Any chance the adjustments are done by turning a screw or bolt and that you are turning the adjustment the wrong way? Maybe the instructions are wrong or the CW or CCW direction it is supposed to turn are when viewed from the front and you are viewing from the back. Just grasping at straws.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been working on this thing for two weeks now. Can only put in a few hours in the mornings as it is 100+ here now. I have taken it apart twice now, I have finally gotten the tension on the axel units about right, but the bike leans to the right.
When I put it together there was about 2" difference between the left and right brackets used to hook the whole unit together. It comes prefabbed and you should just be able to bolt it together, do a bit of adjusting and go. Not happening. This is the left side, the bolts are almost touching the bracket. The right side is about 2 1/2" above the bracket. I am wondering if I can turn the right bracket around I will get over 1 1/2" hopefully stopping the lean to the right. I am just as stumped as the tech is. I know the parts are used in several kits and they don't get a VTX often but he has even tried contacting the last VTX owner they sold a kit to. I am worried about adding down pressure where it shouldn't be by changing the bracket around but it is the only solution I can find. Like I said any help is appreciated.
he

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wish I was closer. Looks like a fun project.

Is your bike completely vertical in you last two pictures? If it is it seems like they sent the wrong brackets or something isn’t together correctly

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wish I was closer. Looks like a fun project.

Is your bike completely vertical in you last two pictures? If it is it seems like they sent the wrong brackets or something isn’t together correctly
The bike is on the lift, and shows a slight tilt 1/4-1/2 bubble from true. I have taken it apart and put it back together piece by piece. There doesn't seem to be a solution unless they have a different bracket.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a friend coming over today that is a mechanic. Knows a master welder, I may just see if I can get a new right bracket made and try from there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a friend coming over today that is a mechanic. Knows a master welder, I may just see if I can get a new right bracket made and try from there.
I own a 04 1300 c and bought a trike kit from Voyager The one they send you is made only for that specific bike. It's a roll on roll off kit Only thing I had to do was insure bike fit properly over underbelly frame of kit. Mine also had a small tilt but I used the long flat spacers underneath the bikes frame to underbelly of kit. My only regret is that my kit costed me almost 1800.00 I could have fully converted my vtx to a trike

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,794 Posts
Hope you get it sorted out so you can get back on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a 04 1300 c and bought a trike kit from Voyager The one they send you is made only for that specific bike. It's a roll on roll off kit Only thing I had to do was insure bike fit properly over underbelly frame of kit. Mine also had a small tilt but I used the long flat spacers underneath the bikes frame to underbelly of kit. My only regret is that my kit costed me almost 1800.00 I could have fully converted my vtx to a trike
I have a 04 VTX 1300S and this is not a Voyager trike kit. It is a Tow-Pac, different company. They are trying to tell me this is the right kit, but they haven't made one in years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 04 VTX 1300S and this is not a Voyager trike kit. It is a Tow-Pac, different company. They are trying to tell me this is the right kit, but they haven't made one in years.
Never said yours was a Voyager I stated The one they( Voyager) (sends) you not[ sent] you meaning had you bought your kit at Voyager they would (send) you one that is for the bike you own tested and proved to fit. I'm sorry your having so much trouble. I would have returned it had it not fit upon first attempt

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never said yours was a Voyager I stated The one they( Voyager) (sends) you not[ sent] you meaning had you bought your kit at Voyager they would (send) you one that is for the bike you own tested and proved to fit. I'm sorry your having so much trouble. I would have returned it had it not fit upon first attempt
I AM TAKING IT OFF TOMORROW. I was told that this one was made specifically for my type of motorcycle. Talking to a lawyer about how to get them to take it back and give me my money back. Finally hit my load limit working on it in the 100+ degree heat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, i misread your remark. I am so tired of messing with it. I AM TAKING IT OFF TOMORROW. I was told that this one was made specifically for my type of motorcycle. Talking to a lawyer about how to get them to take it back and give me my money back. Finally hit my load limit working on it in the 100+ degree heat.
[/QUOTE]

·
Too short for my weight
5,670 Posts
I hate that you’re having issues. Hope you get it sorted out quickly and get back to riding....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before you take it off I would recommend getting as many pictures of the issue as possible. It also wouldn’t hurt to have a mechanic document what the problem is. Document every conversation with he manufacturer.

Seems like you probably have an incorrect bracket that would be easy to replace by the manufacturer. Strange that they don’t have a fix for you.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,794 Posts
That was my thought as well that they sent a wrong part in the kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I had two new brackets made for the right side. It now sits upright but is really scary to ride. Inside wheel tries to pickup on a slow corner, the whole thing is unstable. If i want to use it I will have to get a fabricator to fix it. The company is still telling me it is my fault and refuses to give me any info on one they say they recently sold for a bike just like mine. ROFLMAO

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Well I had two new brackets made for the right side. It now sits upright but is really scary to ride. Inside wheel tries to pickup on a slow corner, the whole thing is unstable. If i want to use it I will have to get a fabricator to fix it. The company is still telling me it is my fault and refuses to give me any info on one they say they recently sold for a bike just like mine. ROFLMAO
After all you've gone through, and all the documentation you've made, and retaining an attorney, I'd have the attorney draw up a letter to send to the MFG. instructing them that before you go through with your lawsuit, that THEY send a factory mechanic or competent rep to look over your unit to assess why it isn't right, at their expense.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts