Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been riding for a few months and just rolled over two grand on my 1300 r but I felt it was time to give my wife the opportunity to finally understand why I wanted to ride in the first place. I have casually mentioned her riding with me for a couple of weeks and she seemed disinterested, but last Monday I set out both my helmets (Ill buy her one when she is ready to ride more) and said, "Hay, lets go for a ride." She declined and I went for a shrot ride alone. The next day, I did the same thing......Same result. On the third day, I didn't even ask her. I called her from work and told her that I was going on a ride and that if she wanted to go, she could. We got home about the same time and she immediately started getting ready. I was impressed because she was ready to go in no time. She said my full face helmet smelled bad....guess its time to wash my liner....and insisted on wearing my half shell Scorpion. Of course she got her way. We spent some time going over her role as a passenger and a few do's and don'ts, and off we went.
The first curve leaving my house is only 3rd gear away, and I took is at a snails pace. Although her head was over my turning shoulder, as we had discused, she was trying her best to lean the other way. She leaned forward and said, "your going to have to slow down!" Since I had the full face helmet on I pointed to my ear and pretended not to hear her. On we went for about a twenty minute ride and stopped at a state park near Paragould, AR. As soon as she got off, she started planing where we could ride over the next few weeks. The light switch had been flipped. By the time we rode to dinner, she was helping me pick out my next touring motorcycle and planning trips to go see our son in Colorado. She still doesnt' like the curves, but she finally gets the why. Happy riding.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Cool story! Hope you two have many happy miles together. :cheers:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Michelle here:

Woohoo!! Give her some time, she might want her own.....;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Kudos to the Mrs. And glad she is in the fold. :patriot:

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
That's great. She'll get more involved as you go. Now comes the fashion outfitting of "female" gear. That's fun.

Mine likes the passenger role o.k. but loves riding her own. Get ready to start looking for a second bike when the "bug" bites....

Just a suggestion. Get some headsets as soon as you can. If you don't you know why you want them soon enough....

Congrats to you and the wife and the two of you have a good time...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Awesome. My wife won't ever ride with me. Her dad was in two accidents when she was younger one of which shattered his ankle. She used to tell me all the time that I wasn't buying a bike, but eventually I stopped asking and started shopping. That was 4 years ago this September. I ask her occasionally, but I know from her response that she never will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all your support. I count myself lucky to have someone to share my enthusiasm. My buddies that ride at work all tell me that they wish their wives would ride. As soon as she wants her own bike, we'll start shopping. Ride safe!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
That's great that she is hooked.
You don't mention if you have a backrest on the bike or not, if not getting one will go a long way in making her more comfortable. I even added some grab handles to make my young daughter more comfy.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
If your wife continues to enjoy this, you may want to enroll her in a Riders Safety Class before she gets her own bike...

You could even attend it to, as a refresher... might learn something again, might be money well spent...
:hmm2:

Spoiler

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
If your wife continues to enjoy this, you may want to enroll her in a Riders Safety Class before she gets her own bike...

You could even attend it to, as a refresher... might learn something again, might be money well spent...
:hmm2:

Spoiler
Great point Spoiler ---

My wife loved the course and we both learned a ton. It helped her over the decision hump and gave her the final confidence to become the rider instead of a passenger...

If the Livermush helps the thought processes send me about 6 gallons...

·
Registered
216 Posts
The MTC made me a better CAR driver too........

I stopped asking until DW brought it up. She said she will never ride beetch so whatever we get there will be two. We started with a couple of Yammie 650s. bad experiences with the dealer and DW went to the Honda dealer where she found a bike that matched her fingernail polish that day. So a 1300 and an 1800 later we had two VTXs. Now her hips give her too much trouble to ride on 2 wheels. I get to ride either VTX and she rides the CanAm. Yes, Dear.........

We both really enjoy the road together. Use the Scala headsets and plan it out. It is good for both of us and our togetherness.

I hope you two enjoy your rides as much as we do!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have a back rest. I'm going to have to look at the handles and I will definitely encourage her to take the safety course.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
106 Posts
Michelle here:

Woohoo!! Give her some time, she might want her own.....;)

:cheers:
Agreed! (Although I'll warn you about what can happen....I ride more with the girls than I do with my husband....someone has to stay home to look after the dog.)

·
Road Name: Lethal
448 Posts
Congrats..that's about how my wife was I keep trying to talk her into getting a vstar 650 or something but she ain't going for it. She said she perfers to relax on the back

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good to hear she likes to ride. Took my wife a year but now we go everywhere on it. She road round trip to DC last year from MA. I bought a 1300T and fixed it up so we would both be comfortable. Bought intercom system for us and away we go. Just retired this past October and the country is ours and can't wait to hit the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts