Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I have added LED lights for turns front and rear. Additional splicing into the harness to change the brake and tag light. Background for the electrical mods.

The issue is having the rear turns burn as if they were wired for running lights, they are not. Just two wires for the rear turns. On dash the turn indicators are lit at half brightness all the time and flash correctly when activated.

If i disconnect the front signals from the harness in the headlight bucket the rear lights that were on go out and act normally as turns, when activated.

I have checked the front turn wires for integrity and they are fine. Any gurus have an idea where and how im getting voltage leak that would cause this unusual event?

I did not install a load equalizer as i dont mind the rapid flashing, keeps pace with my heart rhythm while riding. Is this detrimental to the turn module?

Hope this explanation is clear enough for some hypotheses from minds greater than my own.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a problem much like this while building a yamaha 650 bobber this past winter. I replaced the stock signals with L.E.Ds and no load equilizer, and had erratic flashing and crossover bleeding. After many evenings and switching light locations and running jumper wires to isolate the lights I finally found that the lights were not grounding correctly. I found that by running a jumper ground to each light, one at a time ,each light then worked like a charm. The final fix was easy, I lightly sanded both mounting surfaces and used a little dielectric grease on them...correct grounding worked in my case, hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts