Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an opinion about the NC 2up Switchblade Windshield, the tallest one? I think 19.75 inches. I'm 5'8" and have decided that I want to look through the windshield instead of over it. Tired of the buffeting. Thanks for the input and ride safe. 2006 VTX 1300 C
CageyB

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
1,088 Posts
If you have a shorter shield right now, have you tried lower wind deflectors? Memphis Shades sells them. I had buffeting with my batwing until I installed them. I had a switchblade 2up before the batwing, although the buffeting wasn't as bad, it was still there (I didn't get the deflectors until after I switched to the batwing).

A test, is to put your hand down by the tank (in front on either side) while riding to see if wind is coming up in front of the tank on either side, below the shield.

If this is your problem, the tallest shield out there will not solve the buffeting, a lower deflector most likely will.

You would need the kit for exposed forks and add the mounting kit:
Lowers for 2004 - 2009 VTX1300C exposed forks (memphisshades.com)

You can see them on my bike:

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a shorter shield right now, have you tried lower wind deflectors? Memphis Shades sells them. I had buffeting with my batwing until I installed them. I had a switchblade 2up before the batwing, although the buffeting wasn't as bad, it was still there (I didn't get the deflectors until after I switched to the batwing).

A test, is to put your hand down by the tank (in front on either side) while riding to see if wind is coming up in front of the tank on either side, below the shield.

If this is your problem, the tallest shield out there will not solve the buffeting, a lower deflector most likely will.

You would need the kit for exposed forks and add the mounting kit:
Lowers for 2004 - 2009 VTX1300C exposed forks (memphisshades.com)

You can see them on my bike:
Thanks JPT. I have the lowers as well. Looks like yours are angled back a good bit, about how much? The lowers help a lot, maybe I should angle mine back a little more. Ride Safe.
CageyB

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have very little gap between the lowers and my batwing (just enough to get to the batwing lower bolts to remove the front shell). My batwing is triple tree mounted, so I have angle adjustment, I can swing the top out or in. I have it out just enough so I can clear my head unit rain shield that swings out and up right in front of my handle bar risers. I angled the lowers to match the batwing angle:

Sorry, not the easiest to see:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have very little gap between the lowers and my batwing (just enough to get to the batwing lower bolts to remove the front shell). My batwing is triple tree mounted, so I have angle adjustment, I can swing the top out or in. I have it out just enough so I can clear my head unit rain shield that swings out and up right in front of my handle bar risers. I angled the lowers to match the batwing angle:

Sorry, not the easiest to see:

So, you have the lowers up as high as they will go. Correct?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
So, you have the lowers up as high as they will go. Correct?
Yes, there is very little room for air to go between the top of the lowers and the bottom of the batwing. The lowers match the angle of the batwing, making it one large deflector.

·
Sr. Junior poster
25 Posts
Does anyone have an opinion about the NC 2up Switchblade Windshield, the tallest one? I think 19.75 inches. I'm 5'8" and have decided that I want to look through the windshield instead of over it. Tired of the buffeting. Thanks for the input and ride safe. 2006 VTX 1300 C
CageyB
I have this windshield (see image) and I look through mine and I'm 5' 11, 1/2" tall. My seat has been lowered 1" so that helps me, but at your height you should be able to look through it. I have no lowers, and I get very little buffeting. If you have a stock seat you want to get modified so it's lower and more comfortable, consider Mean City Cycles. (y)

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you sir. I appreciate that. I just snapped in my new 2up windshield yesterday and the buffeting is gone. It's much better than the lower one from before. Thanks again for the input. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CageyB
I have a 2-up Switch Blade on my VTX 1300 R with a mustang seat (lower than stock). I too am 5'11 1/2" tall. I look through the winshield about 2 inches from the top.

·
Registered
18,067 Posts
I have this windshield (see image) and I look through mine and I'm 5' 11, 1/2" tall. My seat has been lowered 1" so that helps me, but at your height you should be able to look through it. I have no lowers, and I get very little buffeting. If you have a stock seat you want to get modified so it's lower and more comfortable, consider Mean City Cycles. (y)

View attachment 244379
If you are looking through it, you are not doing what all the "experts" have recommended for years and years. With the help of a friend, a yardstick and a small level, your line of sight with the yardstick and level should be just over the top of the shield. Shields become scratched, hazy, bug & road debris, making looking through it a guessing game. Good Luck.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
Sr. Junior poster
25 Posts
If you are looking through it, you are not doing what all the "experts" have recommended for years and years. With the help of a friend, a yardstick and a small level, your line of sight with the yardstick and level should be just over the top of the shield. Shields become scratched, hazy, bug & road debris, making looking through it a guessing game. Good Luck.
I'm fully aware of what the "experts" say. What I'm also aware of is that they are covering themselves from liability should something hit the windshield and block a riders view, resulting in injury or death. Even heavy, unexpected fog can be a disaster if a riders windscreen impairs the vision—been there, done that. So "I get it." I also get that all a rider needs to do is scoot up on the seat (as I've done) to then be able to see over the windshield if your eyes are only an inch from seeing over the windshield. If I have to look over mine, I can. Everyone can adjust theirs to whatever they like.

Below is a the recommendation from National Cycle (the shield I own):

Windshield height is a personal preference, but one recognized standard is to be able to look just over the top of your windshield to see the road at a distance of 50 feet in front of you.
Safe Viewing Distance

Generally, this means that a correctly sized windshield mounted to your bike will have a top edge that is horizontally level with the tip of your nose, or just slightly below eye level.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I don't really care about having to look through a shield until it rains. This is where it is a significant problem. Without wipers you can't see through the shield at all, making it dangerous.

I personally do not think looking through the shield any other time is dangerous at all...

I have my shield like the diagram, where my eyes are just above the shield (between the bottom of my nose and the bottom of my eyes), with the curve the wind is deflected over my helmet.

·
Sr. Junior poster
25 Posts
I don't really care about having to look through a shield until it rains. This is where it is a significant problem. Without wipers you can't see through the shield at all, making it dangerous.

I personally do not think looking through the shield any other time is dangerous at all...
I am a fair weather rider, so 90% of the time I don't even need to consider rain or fog and how it will potentially impair my vision, however since we always should prepare for the unexpected, I've ensure my windscreen is still low enough for me to look over it, should I need to.

Hell, the unexpected happens to such a degree that I've actually had my helmet visor unexpectedly smacked into with a bug big enough to totally block my vision with it's 'splatter'. Easy fix with a visor though, you just flip it up. Maybe some day someone will make a windscreen such that the top 1/3 can flip up so you can see 'under it' like I've done with my helmet visor when caught in the fog. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts