Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my dad had a near collision on his 1800C. A kid was driving well over the speed limit on a two lane road. He almost ran into my dad while he was waiting to make a left turn. He watched the kid in his mirrors and once the kid locked the brakes up, my dad took off to get out of the way. He didn't admit it, but it scared him pretty bad. As a result, he added new lights to rear of his bike.

He went to Walmart and got 2 rectangular trailer lights to replace the reflectors above the license plate. He wired them to the brake light. Then he added a red LED ring inside of his turn signals.

Here is a picture of what it looks like at night. I will post a few more of it during the day time.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'll let him know what you think!

Mondo, he went back the next day and took a picture of the skid mark the kid left. I'll get him to email it to me and post it along with some daytime shots.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He looked at a modulator but went with adding more lights. I'm at work now but when I get home, I'll give him a call and see if he can email me the skid mark.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm sure glad your dad is ok, and btw, he did a great job in putting more lights back there. It looks very good. Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Glad your Dad is ok. I just finished repairing my bike from being rear ended, and I added an extra brake light bar below my tag.
Every bit helps.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
It's great to hear you're back on the rode again. What was the final bill on the repairs?? Any painting involved in the process??
Estimate/Storage fee $200
Fender $235 (no painting rqd.)
Signal light $45
LED bolts for tag $20
Tag frame $10

Total $510

Big JoJo hooked me up with the chrome muffler tip I needed, so that saved me the cost of a whole muffler.

Now it's wait and see on what I get from the insurance co.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Glad he is okay.
I have the modulator on my rear and have been looking for a back off light that I can properly add to the rear that will not look crappy. To qualify, an actual light with "Back Off" illuminated, not the backoff light modulator.

·
Need more road time!!
1,308 Posts
Glad your dad is okay, any chance of getting a daytime shot of how the lights are mounted? It's a good idea for extra light on the rear!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad your Dad is okay and I'm sure he feels better with the extra lumens but inattentive drivers will always be just that, inattentive. Your Dad's best action was being aware and watching his mirrors.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
am i glad to hear that you father escaped an accident.

now a day time photo would be nice to see the details....

jstar61, can you post pics of what you did?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'll pass all the compliments and comments along to my dad.

And here are the daytime shots along with the picture of the skid mark.

How he mounted was when he removed the reflectors, there was a hole in the bracket from tab that holds the reflector on. The wires for the light fit through the hole that was left. He then made a template and marked where to drill the 2 more holes on each side to mought the lights. You should be able to see what I'm talking about in the 4th and 6th pictures.

Again, thanks for the compliments! I like it so much, I'm thinking about doing it to my X.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very Nice... I think I might have a visit to Wally World or an auto store during the winter and light my rear up a bit too. I did already add some flashing PODS (brake enabled) but they are smaller and like the more larger lights without going too gawdy.

I DO like the rear end of Goldwings and the fact they have a gol durned lit up CONDO attached to the back of them! Lots-o-lights.

BE A LIGHTHOUSE - BE SAFER

Glad Dad was safe and thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts