Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone rent/sell the tools required for doing the neck bearing replacement?
I know they are probably "easy enough" to make, but I don't have a lathe or a grinder.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
If someone has the specs, I would be glad to make one or two for loaners. I plan on doing mine very soon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What kind of tool is needed? I have done 2 of them with just punch, chisel, grinder and hammer. To get the lower bearing race off the stem, just grind a groove in it and use a chisel and hammer to break it. Comes right off. Long punch gets the outer races out then reuse them to set the new races. Same with the stem lower inner race.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Have you watched the video on GoheenGarage??

http://www.goheengarage.com/tutorials.html

You see us doing a bearing replacement with commonly available tools. Didn't need to make anything. At the end of the video there is a list of tools used. You may have but can easily buy everything you need at local hardware stores. :cheers:

What kind of tool is needed? I have done 2 of them with just punch, chisel, grinder and hammer. To get the lower bearing race off the stem, just grind a groove in it and use a chisel and hammer to break it. Comes right off. Long punch gets the outer races out then reuse them to set the new races. Same with the stem lower inner race.
The factory has a tool for the top stem nuts so you can attach a torque wrench. Some people make that tool, pretty easy with a lathe and mill. I use a Basin wrench and it works fine with my torque wrench, you can see us using it in the video.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I use a 1' long piece of re-bar and a long big screwdriver and a 1' x 1-3/4 OD galvanized pipe and a piece of flat stock steel 1/4" thick by 4" x 8" and a 3# hammer. I don't use any high tech stuff. I have done nine bikes this way and have two more scheduled within the next week - weather providing.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If someone has the specs, I would be glad to make one or two for loaners. I plan on doing mine very soon.
How soon is very soon? ... I'm in Lauderdale, I'd be happy to ride over and maybe we could do both bikes?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
How soon is very soon? ... I'm in Lauderdale, I'd be happy to ride over and maybe we could do both bikes?
Not quite sure on the time frame. I have some other things to take care of, and then I plan on putting the bike up on the stand for a while and taking care of some things I have been wanting/needing to do. It will probably be closer to the fall though.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not quite sure on the time frame. I have some other things to take care of, and then I plan on putting the bike up on the stand for a while and taking care of some things I have been wanting/needing to do. It will probably be closer to the fall though.
I'm thinking I'll need to do mine a bit before then .... getting the wobble. I was hoping to last out for the tech session, but not sure I can.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used a big 1/2" drive socket from Sears. I think it was 1 13/16. Cost $20 and fit the stem nut just fine for 15 lbs of torque. I got the size info from another thread on the Cafe, Or I can check when I get home. Let me know if you want me to check.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I'm thinking I'll need to do mine a bit before then .... getting the wobble. I was hoping to last out for the tech session, but not sure I can.
I've got over 40k and still no wobble, so I'm not pressed to do it yet. I have a laundry list of things to do when I get around to it though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Which Socket didn't fit? One of the Posts from another thread said a Sears 3/4 drive 1 11/16 the post from above from yfx4 said 1 13/16.
I was just getting ready to buy the 1 11/16 or find someone to borrow it from.

Anyone have it around Terre Haute IN. ? :D

·
Darksider
2,850 Posts
I used a big 1/2" drive socket from Sears. I think it was 1 13/16. Cost $20 and fit the stem nut just fine for 15 lbs of torque. I got the size info from another thread on the Cafe, Or I can check when I get home. Let me know if you want me to check.
+1..just make sure it's a 12 point socket. It's what i've used on every bike i've done..over 15 last count.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Which Socket didn't fit? One of the Posts from another thread said a Sears 3/4 drive 1 11/16 the post from above from yfx4 said 1 13/16.
I was just getting ready to buy the 1 11/16 or find someone to borrow it from.

Anyone have it around Terre Haute IN. ? :D
If you're talking about the chrome nut on top of the upper triple clamp, that's a metric nut, 32mm I think....But that's NOT the nut the original post is about..That nut just holds the upper triple clamp in place...The nut that gets torqued for the bearings in the steering stem is a special nut and a standard socket won't fit it...

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
Does anyone rent/sell the tools required for doing the neck bearing replacement?
I know they are probably "easy enough" to make, but I don't have a lathe or a grinder.
I would like to do mine but I was trying to wait for the oct tech session. I live just south of you. Compmd were going to try and ride up together. You should join.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts