Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I remove the bolts to install a sissy bar (most should know which bolts I'm referring to). I was able to tighten down three of the four bolts, but the last one (looking at the bike from the back, front-most on the left) will not tighten. At first, I had the same problem with the front-most on the right but it eventually it caught with enough pressure.

It's important to note that the sissy bar, as it turns out, was not the correct one for the bike. Its another matter to deal with but first i must figure this out.

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do. I've tried tapping on it with a hammer (and even hitting it a couple of times [I'm not proud]) I tried to use a lot of pressure -- enough to lift the bike off the stand and it still will not go in.

I'm pretty sure everything is lined up but I'm not sure. I just can not figure out what is wrong and why the bolt won't tighten down. This seems so simple!

I'm afraid that I will need to take the bike to a tech if I can't figure this out.

Anybody's experience on this matter would help! Is this an normal problem? Does these bolts normally take a ton of pressure or are they just slightly not lined up? Or is this unusual?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Frank :confused::confused::confused:

·
K'ville King
677 Posts
From reading your post, I assume that the bolts are too short. The 07 and 08 models have a different bolt that the earlier models. I am also assuming that the backrest was not made for the 07 & 08 models. You might be ablet to find a longer bolt and a hardware store such as Ace or Home Depot.

Good luck!

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From reading your post, I assume that the bolts are too short. The 07 and 08 models have a different bolt that the earlier models. I am also assuming that the backrest was not made for the 07 & 08 models. You might be ablet to find a longer bolt and a hardware store such as Ace or Home Depot.

Good luck!
Thank you for your post. Thing is, is I'm reassembling it as it was stock. The sissy bar didn't fit and I'm not trying to force it on.

Any other thoughts?

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stop hitting it with a hammer bro, and try running a tap through it.
Thank you for your response. I don't think it is stripped but if it was, how would i know? Simply that the bolt wouldn't catch?

·
K'ville King
677 Posts
Start over. Remove the bolts and start with the smaller diameter bots, M8's and then the M10's. Get all bolts started with at least a few threads before you start locking them down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
just out of curiosity is the one bolt on that side completely tight...if it is lossen it up and try to see if it will allow it to catch then...don't loosen it to where it comes out but back it out about half way...if nothing, take the one all the way out and see if it will catch first...Good Luck Hope this helps...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Loosen all the bolts slightly and don't tighten until all the bolts have caught thread. If the threads inside the fender are stripped it will not tighten. Most likely the hole doesn't line up so the bolt isn't hitting the hole perpendicularly. If this dosen't work drink two beers and try again tomorrow.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Scar is on a tear! I wish I could buy some of that energy.

As with the others, first thing I thought was removing all of them and very loosely thread them back. I'd start with the problem child first.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I had the same problem when I added my sissy bar. It even happened with the longer bolts, but the problem wasn't stripping. My problem was that when I removed the bolts from the (in my case) Right side of the fender, little did I know that the previous owner had removed 2 bolts from the Left side. I removed 2 bolts on the right, and the fender itself moved down so slightly that I didn't even realize it. FInally I decided to run a wire into the hole to see what was going on, then realized that the holes weren't lined up. THen had to completely remove the rear fender, place bolts in each side to hold it in place, then install the sissy bar. IN short, if you removed all 4 bolts from the fender at one time, then the fender could easily have tilted a little, making it very difficult to re-align the bolt holes. If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer.

·
Desert Recluse
1,517 Posts
Scar is on a tear! I wish I could buy some of that energy.

As with the others, first thing I thought was removing all of them and very loosely thread them back. I'd start with the problem child first.
Yea, sometimes I just lose patience with "figuring out how to install a bolt"... that is back around cave-man mentality... pretty simple stuff... don't know if I would be posting about that unless I was a computer/office worker.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Start over. Remove the bolts and start with the smaller diameter bots, M8's and then the M10's. Get all bolts started with at least a few threads before you start locking them down.
Thank you -- Though I've tried varations of this, I will start completlky over tomorrow to see where I get.

Regards,
Frank

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loosen all the bolts slightly and don't tighten until all the bolts have caught thread. If the threads inside the fender are stripped it will not tighten. Most likely the hole doesn't line up so the bolt isn't hitting the hole perpendicularly. If this dosen't work drink two beers and try again tomorrow.
lol, thanks limmoman! I had my drink and I will end up trying again tomorrow.

Regards,
Frank

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the same problem when I added my sissy bar. It even happened with the longer bolts, but the problem wasn't stripping. My problem was that when I removed the bolts from the (in my case) Right side of the fender, little did I know that the previous owner had removed 2 bolts from the Left side. I removed 2 bolts on the right, and the fender itself moved down so slightly that I didn't even realize it. FInally I decided to run a wire into the hole to see what was going on, then realized that the holes weren't lined up. THen had to completely remove the rear fender, place bolts in each side to hold it in place, then install the sissy bar. IN short, if you removed all 4 bolts from the fender at one time, then the fender could easily have tilted a little, making it very difficult to re-align the bolt holes. If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer.
I think this was my problem -- This will help me figure out a way to solve it. Thank you very much for sharing this!

·
Canadian Member
231 Posts
It sounds like you might have cross threaded the bolt. This would explain why you're lifting the bike just trying to tighten it. You need to find out exactly what size of bolt you have and as was said earlier run a tap through the hole.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lossen all 4 bolts and stick a screwdriver in the hole that doesnt line up and align with pressure from screwdriver. Chagne back and forth between sissybar and no bar regularly and have same prob. fixes every time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts