Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 1300C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m changing the exhaust on my 2007 VTX1300C to fit the style of bags that I want. Im rejetting the carb. Do I also need to change the air intake, just change The filter or decamp the air box and change the filter. Leaning towards just going with the Baron Custom Accessories Big Air Kit, mostly for the look.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
923 Posts
You do not NEED to rejet or touch the carb when you change the exhaust (you may want to, since from the factory it runs lean). You HAVE to if you touch the airbox. I changed airbox mine and had my bike dyno tuned. If you do change the airbox and rejet, ONLY use the Factory Pro Kit (you can get extra jets at www.jetsareus.com, but you need the Factory Pro Needle).

Here is my tune and dyno numbers:

Reactions: PaXman11

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,721 Posts
It's not a bad idea to properly tune the carburetor when making any changes to the airflow through the engine. I emphasize properly. It is a science but if you are armed with good information and tools and an open mind, you can accomplish anything that you need to. Motorcycles are lean from the factory because of the EPA 'mandates' (an evil word these days) so even tuning a stock set-up can improve rideability. Some people think that because these bikes are liquid cooled that it's not harmful to be on the lean side, but that is just not the case. Lean causes heat in areas of the combustion chamber that liquid cooling cannot help out but adding fuel will help and, more importantly IMHO, affect longevity of the engine in a positive way. More power is a great side effect of proper tuning as well. Who doesn't want more power for just a few $$ more without changing any expensive parts in the engine? These bikes have a lot of bang for the bucks we shelled out and that is just awesome. I have fuel injection on my 1800 so it's a tad different for my tuning but the result is the same on how it helps the engine. Look around on this forum and you will find a plethora of info to help you in deciding on changes that you want to make. Good luck and post your results so we all can learn from it.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
While doing this work, also install Glen's permanent A/F screw and do the pair mod using dimpled block off plates. Also install a high flow reusable air filter like a K&N. Tuning instructions can be found here on the Cafe in the thread titled something like, "Carb - what affects what".

·
Registered
2013 1300C
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. I got the Factory Pro Kit, Glens screw and the Big Air Kit. Just need new headlight and driver and passenger floorboards and I'm all done.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice. I got the Factory Pro Kit, Glens screw and the Big Air Kit. Just need new headlight and driver and passenger floorboards and I'm all done.
Get the VTX Daymaker (NOT Harley-Davidson) LED. Several makes of floorboards still available, Rivco, Cobra, Kuryaykn, maybe 1 or 2 other brands.

Reactions: MR VTX
1 - 6 of 6 Posts