Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300T Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna try to explain this to the best of my abilities.

I have a 2009 VTX1300T Touring

If I roll into the throttle either fast or slow from the 0 position, the engine is hesitant drops in RPMs, almost, stalls or dies, and may occasionally backfire or emissions detonate near or around head. After that the RPMs pick up and it acts fairly normal.

This happens at a stopped position and cruising down the road.

I have been running Seafoam cleaner through the fuel system every 3 fill-ups to see if it was a carb issue. Haven't seen a difference, yet.

I have had it at the shop and had values tuned up and that did not remedy the situation. Oil and plugs changed.

Ideas or has anyone come across similar experience?

I see a post on a "vacuum piston diaphragm" issue.

~Notes Section~
VTX Information

Carb rebuild kit

Glen's Garage VTX

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
It sounds like you need a carb rebuild, re-jet, installation of Glen's permanent A/F screw, and carb tuning. You can find info on all of these here on the VTX Cafe.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
If you are talking about carb jet kits, then ONLY buy the Factory Pro jet kit. Do not buy a kit from Dynojet or anyone besides Factory Pro.

Reactions: Tom P.

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300T Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The bike is really stock. I will be looking into the fuel mix screw for our adventures in the mountains, but other than that I'm just looking for a good rebuild kit. I'm a start with replacing the vacuum piston diaphragm and see if that does anything and then move on to a rebuild of the carb.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
There are a number of rubber parts in the carb which can fail over time with the most failure prone, indeed, being the vacuum piston diaphragm. Before replacing it, take it out and inspect it carefully for cracks in the rubber or other damage. It may not need replacing at all.

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300T Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help!

I have ordered Glenn's A/F screw, Factory Pro rebuild 1.0, and a vacuum piston diaphragm. I'm a go through the system and check for cracked or split vacuum lines as well. Anything else folks wanna throw at me?
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,701 Posts
Have you checked the intake gaskets?

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Please pardon my ignorance and/or poor memory - What are the "intake gaskets"?

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,701 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Thanks. The name makes sense and is quite descriptive. I had never heard of these failing or being replaced on a VTX before so was unfamiliar with the terminology.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remove the air filter and look for a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump. It will be immediate, mine took just off the stop to squirt and it was terribly cold natured. Replaced the pump assembly and it usually drives off cold now. I tried to clean it first but that didn't change it. With the new one, as soon as the throttle moves you see gas squirt. Hope this works.🤘

·
Registered
2009 VTX1300T Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All the carb parts are here. Cobra slash exhaust will be here very soon.
Is there a detailed guide for installing the Factory Pro kit?
Prefer a guide with images or video

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
I am unaware of a guide as detailed as you describe. The service manual is helpful. Follow the carb tuning instructions found in a thread on the VTX Cafe titled something like, "carb - what affects what".

·
Registered
73 Posts
This isn't a guide for a kit install, but it is very detailed in removal, disassembly, inspecting, cleaning and reassembly.
I always cringe when I see someone seat an A/F needle. Be very light on the seat when tightening it. One thing I have done several times through the years on Keihin Carbs is the same as in the video. It is easy to forget and put the top cover of the slide piston on and forgetting the spring. For me it helps to hold the piston up from the bottom to line up and seat the diaphragm too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts