Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I can't believe the knowledge and info that is on this site. I can't believe all the VTX people out there. I thought that Harley guys were the only proud bikers out there. Now, I realize VTX people are just as proud. I thought we lived in the shadows of Harley's. This site has me excited. Thanks.

I have a 2003 VTX 1300. I posted a thread about no power and sluggish and will not idle. Look up the thread Jchans, Questions. I was told to put Sea Foam in the tank and possibly clean the carb.

My questions is how hard is it to take off the carb and clean it? Where do I go to find out how to take off the carb? I am not a mechanic ( Police Detective), I use to be a helicopter crew chief in the Army about 15 years ago and know my way around Helicopter engines and avionics. Limited on tools but its all nuts and bolts. Just want the honest truth whether or not It is over my head.

Second, I see alot on here about mods? Am I missing something. We love our bike and I really dont understand all the mod business. Will this improve our riding. Give me the truth on mods, greatly appreciate everything you guys have to offer,,,,Thanks.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Need some basic info first, what kind of pipes, stock or aftemarket, is the airbox stock or aftermarket. First thing would be to run some seafoam through the tank & check plugs for fouling, the choke is not really a "choke" it just dumps raw fuel itno the carb & will foul the plugs in short order.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Depends on which "Mods" you are talking about...SCAR will make it run better...PVR keeps it from popping and backfiring as much the Kermit mod makes it look better while it's running lol...but then again I think everytime I add something chrome to it, it makes it run better also...so who am I to ask...:stirpot:

·
9,160 Posts
Mods are what make the bike "YOURS"! They vary from simplistic to very involved. It all depends on how much you want to modify your bike to suit your needs. Most of us are modaholics . . . :mosh: and there is no therapy available to help us. :nope:

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
Mods, simply put, are what we add to our bikes to make it our own. Aftermarket products to enchance the look, ride, comfort and increase the bling factor.

There are mods, as has been mentioned, to help with decel popping, increase air flow, etc. etc. etc.

Welcome to the cafe and ask away someone will eventually have an answer for you.

Oddly enough I have been to Ft. Dodge but many many years ago like 1970. Sure it looks just a little different now. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything at this time is "Stock". I plan on putting new pipes on later this spring, but everything else is Stock.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
There are mods to make the bike more comfortable ... Seats, Risers ...

To make it run better....

To make it look better

To make it sound better

To make it ride beter

To make it love you more

There are mods to mods

Once you start you may find that you cant get enough.

We plan mods, replan mods, do mods, redo mods, mod the mods!

What more can I say?

Ride to live, live to mod! :mosh:

I started with a stock VTX 1300 and and ended up with this ...

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-04/rocket-motorcycle.jpg

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would try some spray carb cleaner before taking it all apart.

If it's running rough I suggest new spark plugs, Glen's A/F tool to properly tune the carb and don't use the enricher (choke). There is plenty of info on how to diagnose carb problems on this site. If it's all stock, that's all you should need to do to get it running smoothly.

Regarding mods, I have an endless list and after three years I feel the bike is finally "right where I want it".

My list?

Honda lightbar (a must for safety) $$$$
Mustang seat (seat replacement a must for comfort) $$$$
Honda rear rack (convenience) $$
Iso grips, brake levers (comfort) $
Glen's clutch assist (comfort - a must for your left hand) $
Progressive springs and shocks (improves handling) $$$$
tapered steering bearings (eventually a must) $$
Metzler tires (performance) $$$$
Ashford's airbox (performance) $
Cobra pipes (performance) $$$$
SCAR carb tuning, Glen's A/F screw (performance - a must and cheap to do) $
windshield lowers (wind buffeting) $
Paladin highway bars with pegs (comfort) $$
chrome bits (looks) $$
etc ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
First Welcome from Wyoming next some like plain stock (which is not a prob any vtx looks great anyway) but yes once you start looking at mods man you will find some great ideas to make your bike unique "Yours" lots of stuff out there. Welcome to the club.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts