Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my bike isn't running correctly. During highway use, the bike will randomly sputter down and want to die. it'll stay running but only at like an idle. When It slows down to about 60mph it'll clear up and run.

So, while I have the carb apart (everything looks good) I wanted to check the TPS. But I'm not getting any resistance readings. Per the manual, I disconnected the ICM and checked the marked locations, Yellow/Red and Blue/Green. I've tried two meters and I'm just not getting a reading. I've tried key on and key off. Nothing. I've tried from the wire side and going in through the connector, and nothing.

I tried at the connector side of the TPS and same. Nothing.

The ICM is disconnected. Does this mean the TPS is bad? Am I just missing something obvious?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright. I tried a third DMM. I bench tested the TPS. I am getting 5.25 Ohms. But if I turn the wheel inside, on the inside, the resistance doesn't change.

Does it need to be connected to the bike for it to change? I would think the screwdriver turning it, does the same as the throttle cables and the little T adapter. But maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You might have to translate this so maybe someone will offer advice. Lol

·
Super Moderator
10,086 Posts
Silver F, where did you answer it? I do not see a response in this thread.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver F, where did you answer it? I do not see a response in this thread.
He sent me a PM.

The resistance of the TPS should be between 4K and 6K ohms. Mine doesn't change if I spin the inerds of the TPS. So it's looking like my TPS might be dead.

I'm sitting at 5200/5250 ohms, and it never changes.

·
Super Moderator
10,086 Posts
Ahh, very good. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts