Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 VTX 1300. Winter is finally over and got the bike out last week.

Started the bike and noticed it was running rough. Choked it to warm it up and she kept dying. Finally got it to stay running with Choke on. Back fired several times but still running rough. (very loud back fire) It does back fire now and then. This started after we removed the baffles from my stock pipes)

took it out on the road and could barely get her over 70mph in a half mile. Sounds different too. I noticed the different sound after the heavey back fire after I got it started.

As long as I give her gas she will run but hardly idles. Friend of mine told me due to the long hard winter I might need to put Sea Foam in the tank. Just did that tonight and ran the bike for about 9 miles. still runs slow and rough. I realize the Sea Foam probably hasnt circulated throuh yet.

Am I on the right track or will I be visiting a expensvie mechanic soon????

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Drain all your fuel, clean out your carb, run fresh new gasoline and the seafoam is a great idea to help clean everything out. Next year use some STA-BIL or other gas stabilizer to save you the trouble after storage....

Basically your gas got old, probably gummed up a bit in spots in your system and left residue all over the inside of your carb and now needs to be cleaned.

·
9,160 Posts
+1 to what ozzyman said.

You definitely need to remove the carb and clean it out real good, add the fresh fuel and you'll be fine. Personally, I carry a bottle of StaBil with me and add 2 ounces every time I fill up. It also helps with the moister problems associated with E85 fuel, keeps everything cleaned out and ready to go. :mosh:

·
BUFF/Viper/JSF Keeper
931 Posts
+1 to Oz and Kenko.

Sta-bil is your best friend for any storage if you're not riding at least weekly, especially during the winter for the colder climes.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of people on the boards are switching from STA-BIL to Seafoam. They say that the STA-BIL leaves a film. And Seafoam cleans the varnish up in the carb. Next stop using the choke/enhancer. You will foul the plugs. If you are needing to use the choke then your A/F is set too lean from the factory. There are many writeup on this subject. The factory sets the A/F on the lean side to pass EPA inspections. The A/F is located on the bottom of the carb and looks like a D shaped adjuster. It is really really hard to adjust as you have to remove seat, gas tank and airbox then make the adjustment then put it back together and if you have to make any more adj you have to remove everything again. The easiest way is to get Glen,s A/F permanent adjuster.
Glen's VTX Garage
http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/
With this installed you will be able to adjust the A/F without removing anything.
Now with this installed even in cold weather all you will have to do is give the throttle a couple of twists and hit the starter and it will come to life immediately and almost no warm up and no choke and no feathering. I just installed mine a couple of weeks ago and it was 28* out and i just hit the starter and mine started and stayed running. Before I had a terrible time getting mine started.

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that have helped with my problem. This site is amazing with all the info floating around.

You guys are great and again thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How hard is it to remove the carb? Never done anything like that before. Do I need new gaskets on hand and what not? My back ground is this. use to be a helicopter crew chief in the Army. I can put together a helicopter and take apart a helicopter no problem ( 15 years ago). Cars and bikes, no clue. It is all just nots and bolts. Limited on tools. Do I need something special? Thanks for your reply. You guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Carb isnt too tough..

My question would be... why?

You can check and/or clean out the jets without completely removng the carb.

-Gonz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello JCHans,
This is very similar to what I experienced just a few weeks ago. Through information and helful people on this site I was able to clean out the carb and perform the SCAR mod on it to eliminate choke (nasty word on these bikes) use and make it easy to start.

I recommend that you spend some time doing a few searches, also you might refer to my post on the 3rd page "Can't get it started", there are useful tips to performing some of the basic carb work.

Look at that and see if it helps then post additonal questions or conerns you have.

In a nutshell you probably have a varnished up carb and foulded plugs, and those are both pretty easy to fix. You need to get new plugs but before you do that clean the jets on the carb, that is going to require a little reading to understand but is is simple so don't be afraid to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts