Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The continuing saga on how to replace a busted rear turn signal assembly on 2010 Sabre 1300CS.
(I have posted on the other forum, I'm posting here because I am looking for help wherever I can get it.)
Well I gave it my best shot worked on it for 5 hrs, but was unable to get at the quick connect plug on the two wires coming out of the busted turn signal.
I removed just about everything short of the whole rear fender to no avail. I tried removing the section that holds the turn signals, stop light, and license plate holder. But still could not access where the connection was at for either turn signal on the rear fender.
Does anyone know where I could view an image showing the assembly under the rear fender so I could get some idea of how to go about removing the molded mounting section that contains the connections for the rear lights?
I tried several OEM parts images and they do not have the detail.

I only received one response on the Sabre, Interstate, Stateline Forum and it was of no help.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Hard to give advice via pics on the internet...But it looks like a couple nuts attached to that piece inside the rear fender....If those aren't removeable, my next plan would be to remove the tail light, or whatever is on the outised in that area and go in through that way...Has to be an access to replace that given the short lead on the new light...I haven't really looked that closely at the new VT1300's to know for sure...If it were here in my garage though, I could get a better look and figure it out....

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to give advice via pics on the internet...But it looks like a couple nuts attached to that piece inside the rear fender....If those aren't removeable, my next plan would be to remove the tail light, or whatever is on the outised in that area and go in through that way...Has to be an access to replace that given the short lead on the new light...I haven't really looked that closely at the new VT1300's to know for sure...If it were here in my garage though, I could get a better look and figure it out....
The couple of nuts will only turn on the bolts, but will not come off the end of the threads, so I know I need to get a wrench on the other side of the bolts. I remove the bake light lens to find only the bulb and reflector, but no way to get it out and these bolts are right behind it I know they are. I don’t want to break the reflector housing by pulling or prying on it. There has to be some special tabs or clips that is keeping this mounting unit from coming off, but I’ll be damn if I could find it.

The plastic unit is behind a round metal 3/8 inch bar that supports the fender from underneath. Look close and you can see it in the photos.

Thought about calling the Honda Dealer and asking for help, but I know what their reply would be, just bring it down here and we’ll see what we can do to the tune of about $250 dollars.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
33,457 Posts
Yeah, looks like they're probably pressed-in studs in the tail light reflector...Still wish I could see it in person myself though to be sure....:banghead:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to let you know that someone on the Sabre Forum responded with the “How-To” on replacing the turn signal.
Brew, on 11 June 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:
I am pretty sure you need to remove the fender (and the seat ) to access the wiring, my manuals are at work, I can look tomorrow if need be.

MrBill, on 11 June 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:
I would appreciate it if you would look at your mamual and see if it has any images that address the taillight and license plate holder, or something similar. Maybe the rear turn signals may provide some guidance, reguarding remove or replace.

A friend on the VTX Café Forum sent me a link to a site with a detail image of OEM parts finch for the Sabre showing the taillight and license plate holder.
http://www.ronayers....-_LICENSE_LIGHT

It gave me a much better look at what parts and fasteners that hold the assembly on the fender, but doesn’t show where the wiring connectors are located.
There were two nuts that I tried to remove, but they would only turn with the bolts. I couldn’t get to the bolts on the other side of the assembly behind the taillight, because when I removed the red plastic lenses that exposed the bulb and reflector I could not find a way to remove that part of the assembly. I did not want to force or pry on anything and break it, so I put everything back together.
So that is where I am at this point.

Brew said;
I was right, you need to remove the fender, under the fender, directly on top of the tail light, there are 3 connectors, left, right, and lic., (orange left, blue right, white lic)
If you have never removed the seat, the 2 front bolts are accessed by removing the side covers, there are 2allen bolts holding the seat on from the front, and the rear bolt on op of the fender, with the seat off, remove the 2 trim clips from the front (2 little plastic rivet looking things, push on the center w/something pointy, then pull them out, they are reusable) there is also a harness clip on the mud guard (right by the rear pegs under fender) that need to be released, then lift fender off.
pic of my Fury, they are very similar disregard the purple wire, that was an equalizer I had for my LED lights

·
33,457 Posts
Hmmm...You would think that Honda would've made those a bit easier to replace...Although they're not really easy to replace on the VTX either....

Glad you got the help you needed though to get it fixed for your buddy...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts