Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help guys.
I have reviewed many of the posts on the forum looking for what tools are needed when doing the valve adjustment on the 1300, but did not find any reference on two of the tool sizes I needed to know about.

Can you tell me what size (metric) is the cap on the exhaust valve cover? I have seen postings where someone was saying they thought it is a 17mm.

Also what size socket (metric) is the crankshaft bolt to line up the timing marks T F and R F?
Is it a 26mm-1/2" drive-deep well socket? If so I need to purchase one.

Yes I have watched the video by "BareassChoppers" and no mention regarding wrench size. I also read many post regarding valve adjustments and could not find any reference to size there either.

Thanks,
Bill.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
I need your help guys.
I have reviewed many of the posts on the forum looking for what tools are needed when doing the valve adjustment on the 1300, but did not find any reference on two of the tool sizes I needed to know about.

Can you tell me what size (metric) is the cap on the exhaust valve cover? I have seen postings where someone was saying they thought it is a 17mm. I'm guessing 24mm for the exhaust, but I use a Cresent. It's just a cap with a O-ring to seal it and not much room to work. Minimal torque required for a seal. For the intake they are 8mm or 5/16th

Also what size socket (metric) is the crankshaft bolt to line up the timing marks T F and R F?
Is it a 26mm-1/2" drive-deep well socket? Normal 17mm with a short extension If so I need to purchase one.

Yes I have watched the video by "BareassChoppers" and no mention regarding wrench size. I also read many post regarding valve adjustments and could not find any reference to size there either. 10mm lock nut and 4mm for the adjustment.

Thanks,
Bill.
Here is what I remember

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I believe I read you need a piece of string to tie to some of the tools, so if one drops in, you don't have to pick the bike up and turn it upside down and shake it...

I believe that is important...

:)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Charlie, I have the SAE size (15/16) covered and thought I had all the metric sizes, but they are combination wrenches. The crankshaft bolt is recessed so I am going to need a 17mm socket for that.

I have the valve tools covered; along with the safety cord or wire for retrieval should the unexpected happen.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok now I am set for tools, Harbor Freight is having a big sale this weekend, started this Friday.
Lots of Super Coupons, and found one for a 20 piece Metric ¾ drive socket set sizes 17mm – 50mm ($39.95).
I know will never use over half the sockets in this set, but if someone needs to borrow a large size metric socket I’ve got them covered.

Also picked up two 17mm sockets one short one deep well ½ inch drive, and one deep well 24mm ½ “ drive.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Caution when reinstalling the 17 mm bolt cap don't over tighten it - in the past some have actually broke it off in the housing - then you will have to replace the whole cover $$.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Make sure to get a good bright work light the timing marks are hard for us old farts to see.

a set of 3/8 drive hex key come in handy too when you get around to it.
+1....Harbor Freight also has a 2-pack of small LED flashlights...I use that to look into the timing hole and align the marks...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bright LED flashlights, picked up a couple of those also, at $2.49 for two you can't beat that.

Your right-on with the LED's being great, with my old eyes they really light everything up.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Bright LED flashlights, picked up a couple of those also, at $2.49 for two you can't beat that.

Your right-on with the LED's being great, with my old eyes they really light everything up.
Yup!!...I did have one of them quit working though...used to carry the blue one in the saddlebag all the time, but apparently the vibrations and bumps was too much for it...Tried changing the batteries, but it still don't work...:( Next time I'm there I'll just get a couple more...:cool:

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If you put Vaseline on the battery contacts it helps keep the corrosion down from the heat.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If you haven't already done one I would see if there is anyone in your area that can swing by and give you a hand

1 - 15 of 15 Posts