Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

my 03 1300 is acting up. When i twist the throttle it revs up but barely speeds up. Its like the clutch is partially depressed. The clutch grip seems normal when I pull it in, it fires right up and engine sounds great otherwise. I can very slowly twist throttle and get up to about 50 but after that it revs with out picking up speed, regardless of what gear I am in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bike is totally stock.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Have you changed the oil recently? How much free play in the clutch lever?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not changed the oil recently, however I am about due for one. Does the oil affect clutch? Clutch feels normal, not notcing any play.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
Yes, we have a wet clutch that requires non energy conserving oil. If you haven't changed it recently but you do it regularly with the right oil, it shouldn't be a problem. Your clutch lever should have about 3/8'' freeplay. When did the problem start?

Reactions: nate6966

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
You say you don't notice any freeplay. That could be the problem. You must have a small amount of freeplay. If not, it is possible the the clutch is slightly engaged even when you are not touching the lever. Use the fine adjustment on the cable end of the clutch lever to give yourself some freeplay and see if that solves your problem. The normal amount if you do NOT have a clutch pull relief device installed is about 1/2-3/4" of lever movement measured at the ball end before any resistance is felt.

Reactions: RBull

·
That's Running not Red
2008 Honda VTX 1300R
1,326 Posts
I gave my self a little play and took it out and it rode perfectly! Thank you guys so much! You saved me a shop bill.
Excellent.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
You say you don't notice any freeplay. That could be the problem. You must have a small amount of freeplay. If not, it is possible the the clutch is slightly engaged even when you are not touching the lever. Use the fine adjustment on the cable end of the clutch lever to give yourself some freeplay and see if that solves your problem. The normal amount if you do NOT have a clutch pull relief device installed is about 1/2-3/4" of lever movement measured at the ball end before any resistance is felt.
Ditto...above:patriot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts