Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I am planning on purchasing my first new bike from a dealer. Is there much room and/or expectation for negotiating the price (as with a car)? I haven't seen any "tips" on buying, so thought I'd get some opinions. Thanks.

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
I bought from a dealer, I am not sure there will be any discounts especially with as hot as bikes are selling. The gas thing ya know. Look around for left over bikes, if you are buying a 1300 will probably not happen but I found an 05 1800S for 8995 a year ago May. 0 I repeat 0 miles, with full warranty. So unless there is something specific you are looking for you might want to consider an 06 left over, might call it out of the crate, in the crate who knows. Ebay if full of them plus this people on this site can direct you to some as well.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If ya don't mind travelin' a bit give Southern Honda in Tennessee a call. They are always good for a few thousand less. Just don't buy any accessories from 'em. That's where they get ya.

·
WTF, Over!
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you want to travel to IL i know a place that has a left over 06 1800

bike is brand new, also has the factory flames on tank and rear fender

i was there Monday and it was 9500 and some change out the door, said it retailed for over 14000

just what dealer said

black with red flames

black is the fastest color

·
Grand Poobah
442 Posts
You've got more wiggle room in the price if you buy leftover, crated, or used. Dealers will be more pressed to get them off the floor.

Don't be afraid to say..."out the door price" My bud saved about 700$ because he bought a 0 mile leftover that way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
To answer your question yes there is haggle room in a bike purchase. Even for brand new. As stated above you have a better chance getting an even better deal if you get a leftover. 2 year leftovers for 1800s are pretty common and you can get them dirt cheap (most cases you can get them for the same price as brand new 1300) and they still come with the factory warranty. Call some different stealerships and pit them against each other and ask for the "out the door price"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Found mine on cycletrader.com
Unfortunately for the dealer, an incorrect price was posted and
it was not discovered until after I signed the purchase contract.
To their credit, they honored the price.

Rotsa ruck, G.I. !

·
Registered
666 Posts
My local Stealer is STILL running specials on left-over 1300's. What I did was call ALL the local dealers with bikes I was interrested in. Yes, I even called the Harley shop. Plain & Simple I told them " what's your best price for this model OUT THE DOOR?"
I'll tell right now, it was a near thing with the Triumph Speedmaster.
The H-d dealer said they wouldn't quote ANTHING over the phone and "didn't like the tactics" I was using. (honestly, I must not have known the secret signal).
my.02
let your fingers do the walking, HAVE your financial aspects ready BEFORE you walk in & play them against each other.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
Call some dealers and see what kind of range in prices you get. Tell them you're shopping around, and leave your number with them; I bet at least one of them will "find" a leftover deal and call you back.

Yes, ask what it the out-the-door price (I don't care what the breakdown is among bike, tax, fees, license, tax; I want to know how much is going out of my account and into theirs).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to all of you who posted back. Actually, the advice is is the same as given in a book on negotiating that I recently read. I HATE to negotiate (you can imagine how I feel about buying a car), but this really gives me hope of getting what I want for a fair price. I love the "out the door price" advice. I plan on using it. Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts