Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common to hit neutral between 4th and 5th. This has happened to me several times and i would like to know if it is something i should be concerned with or not. Thank for any feedback.:mosh:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would agree with Bass. I had this happen several times and I just made sure I shifted a little harder next time. Quite a few other people on here have mentioned the same issue. It worried me the first time it happened, but thanks to this forum, it put my mind at ease.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
It is NOT neutral, you are between gears. This is usually caused by short shifting or not lifting all the way up on your shift lever. If it happens a lot then try different shoes or adjusting your lever.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
It is NOT neutral, you are between gears. This is usually caused by short shifting or not lifting all the way up on your shift lever. If it happens a lot then try different shoes or adjusting your lever.
could always tie a cord to the boot tip and pull up when you shift.

I am always slamming the gears so not a problem for me.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
That's what I like about the heel/toe on the R, just stomp on it!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I haven't had that happen on my X but have experienced it with other bikes. I suspect it is simply how the end play tolerences fall. As others have mentioned, be deliberate when you go into 5th.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
could always tie a cord to the boot tip and pull up when you shift.

I am always slamming the gears so not a problem for me.
Me either. Sometimes I am between gears when I try to nudge it into the next gear when I am not using the clutch but it is totally operator error. When I bang it I have no problems.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
You don't really have to shift HARDER, just more positive. All the way up or down will do it.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've had the problem in other gears as well. I've always assumed that I just wasn't hitting the gear all the way. I try and remember to push down a bit harder with the heel and it generally takes care of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts