Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally when I turn the key to the on p, the neutral light will not come on and the bike will not start even with the clutch lever pulled in. I have noticed when shifting into neutral on the go sometimes the neutral light will not come on either.

·
Deuce
3,879 Posts
First things I would check is battery terminals tighten them with a socket not a screwdriver and also check the green connectors for the cluster there are on the right side in front of the gas tank. Also would be helpful if you would tell us what bike you have. If it’s an 1800 I believe the green connectors are on the left side of the bike

Ride Free Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Check the neutral switch for correct operation. I am guessing that the switch is located somewhere near where the shift linkage enters the crankcase housing. The switch is attached to a wire from the ECM, looks like it is light grey in color and the neutral switch is a simple switch that shorts to ground when in neutral or is normally shorted to ground when in any gear but neutral. Reguardless, the switch body is screwed into the engine and this provides the ground path. Remove the one wire that goes to this switch and connect a ohm meter to the switch and to ground. You should see the switch open and close as you shift from neutral to any gear and back. If not the neutral switch is probably defective.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just want to toss this out there, not calling anyone stupid but i've done this 100 times myself....is the kickstand up? Is maybe the switch on the kickstand fooling the bike? If the Kickstand is down (or the switch thinks it is) you get a no-go!

Reactions: River13

·
Registered
1 Posts
First things I would check is battery terminals tighten them with a socket not a screwdriver and also check the green connectors for the cluster there are on the right side in front of the gas tank. Also would be helpful if you would tell us what bike you have. If it’s an 1800 I believe the green connectors are on the left side of the bike

Ride Free Ride Safe
1800C3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts