Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a new member and could use some help. my neutral light does not come on. bike won't start with bike in neutral unless the kickstand and clutch is pulled. once bike is started I can put kickstand down and bike still runs normal.I checked continuity of both kickstand and neutral switch and appears to be working any ideas i have a 1300t 2008.

·
Tater
98 Posts
yeah it sounds like some thing with the bike not actually being in neutral. Or being in neutral and not thinking it is....that's what i mean. I'm assuming that you are able to roll the bike around your shop with out pulling in the clutch. So that would mean you ARE in neutral regardless of light. You should only have to pull in the clutch to start when you are in a gear. And the bike will only run in gear if the kick stand is up. That's why when you drop the kick stand when its in gear, it shuts off. But its odd that once its running, you can drop the stand and it stays running. Does it do anything when you try to start it with stand down and the clutch out? What about stand up and no clutch? or clutch in and side stand down?

·
Registered
102 Posts
any other ideas my bike won't start unless clutch is pulled and kickstand up neutral light won't come on in any config. changed neutral switch today no help.
Connect a test light to battery positive and probe neutral switch light green wire-light will light when shifted to
neutral -if not switch not working in transmission-if lights go to icm vnder seat and check light green wire with test light to battery positive and light will light when shifted to neutral ,if not wire broken between switch and icm-Ride Safe,Mike Z

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff when kickstand down and clutch out it wont start with stand up and clutch out it wont start have to have kickstand up and clutch in for it to start in neutral (can roll bike around shop in neutral) then I can put stand back down bike continues to run normally

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike Z, check this out I looked for this diode in fuse box couldnt find what you where talking about so i looked it up on parts book saw it, then i went to someone elses 1300 to make sure i was looking at the correct part and bingo someone stole the diode out of my fuse box, I replaced it and everything works normal thanks for your help. Its hard to believe a fellow rider would do that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mike Z, check this out I looked for this diode in fuse box couldnt find what you where talking about so i looked it up on parts book saw it, then i went to someone elses 1300 to make sure i was looking at the correct part and bingo someone stole the diode out of my fuse box, I replaced it and everything works normal thanks for your help. Its hard to believe a fellow rider would do that.

Glad it's fixed,diode might have not been installed in fvse block correctly and vibrated ovt? Ride Safe,Mike Z

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
When you pull the clutch in, you are bypassing the neutral circuit. Check the continuity between the G/R wire on the starter relay and the LG/R feeding the diode. No continuity....check diode. Have continutiy....check continuity between G/R wire on starter relay and ground to frame. Have continuity....check continutiy through neutral switch to ground.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
if the kickstand pivot bolt is loose and the switch has turned/moved it will have the same symptoms.
Mine did that years ago and It kept loosing up .... Lock-tight solved that problem.

Donut

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jeff when kickstand down and clutch out it wont start with stand up and clutch out it wont start have to have kickstand up and clutch in for it to start in neutral (can roll bike around shop in neutral) then I can put stand back down bike continues to run normally
same here bit when I put the kickstand down the bike shuts off, I can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
12,320 Posts
I suspect that some combinations of safety switches (neutral, sidestand, clutch) that prevent the bike from starting will also cause it to turn off. For example, if the bike was in neutral and the neutral safety switch did not correctly detect this state and and you did not have the clutch pulled in and you put the sidestand down, the bike might shut off. This is probably not the problem with your bike, however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts