Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and got a 1800 N1 today... I have a lot to learn about her. I’ll be asking some questions in the coming weeks :)

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What’s a Power commander for? I know on the 1300 carb stuff we avoid the dynojet stuff, but it seems that dynojet power commander is the best rated one?

is the reservoir on the clutch side of the tank for the coolant overflow? Can the chrome piece be removed to fill it?

I can’t find a downloadable service manual link that works, anyone have one? I would like a paper version if anyone has one to sell....

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,527 Posts
Power commander is the electronic equivalent of changing carb jets. It alters the fuel ratio. Those are prone to connection issues on all bikes so if not running well look for failing connections. I think they might use nasty vampire taps.

Always loved the look of the N fender.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Congrats, Sean. That BLURPLE always looks good! When you have your seat off, look at the flat computer box that sits atop the battery. There should be a gray wire that goes into the box, that the Power Commanders usually connect to. Check for those dreaded vampire clips, and if there, remove , repair and solder the connection. Or just cut it out altogether. The stock computer works pretty well w/o it. The PC III can be tuned to dump a little more fuel into the low pot to eliminate de-cel popping. 2-0-0 is a good baseline setting. Looks like you have the HK3" pipes like mine.

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn’t have the commander, I didn’t know if I needed one because I’m gonna put in a k&n filter.

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if you could give me a link to the 1800 how to’s, I can’t find it on the site....

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
It doesn’t have the commander, I didn’t know if I needed one because I’m gonna put in a k&n filter.
No adjustments needed with the K/N did you get the oil/ renew kit? Check the 1800 section of the forum for the info, it should be listed as a sticky or header at the top of the threads.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No adjustments needed with the K/N did you get the oil/ renew kit? Check the 1800 section of the forum for the info, it should be listed as a sticky or header at the top of the threads.
Yeah I have the kit already because I have a k&n in the 1300. Thanks Fran, I’ll look again, I may have overlooked it since it probable isn’t the same layout as the 1300 how to’s?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,527 Posts
Common questions thread is only on 1300 forum but applies to both. Same oil filters etc.

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
most how-to's around

[IMG alt="Depotdad"]https://www.vtxcafe.com/d1/avatars/m/105/105866.jpg?1561566941[/IMG]
Depotdad
Registered

Joined Oct 2, 2016
151 Posts

#150 Jul 13, 2018
Here is a link to a VTX 1800 R Service manual.
This link is to a file that resides on my google drive, so it won't ever go away.
vtx1800r.pdf

I also found this manual online. It claims to be for an 1800 C, 02-04 Models
I have no idea if it's actually any different than the R manual I linked but just in case...
VTX1800C_02-03.pdf

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
most how-to's around

[IMG alt="Depotdad"]https://www.vtxcafe.com/d1/avatars/m/105/105866.jpg?1561566941[/IMG]
Depotdad
Registered

Joined Oct 2, 2016
151 Posts

#150 Jul 13, 2018
Here is a link to a VTX 1800 R Service manual.
This link is to a file that resides on my google drive, so it won't ever go away.
vtx1800r.pdf

I also found this manual online. It claims to be for an 1800 C, 02-04 Models
I have no idea if it's actually any different than the R manual I linked but just in case...
VTX1800C_02-03.pdf
Thanks Chuck! Hope you and the wife are doing good!

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Awesome purchase and the best part about it is you got the perfect color.
But everyone knows BLACK is the fastest color! LOL 👍🏍🚀🧨

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
.....I found the emoji's!

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats...saw your post on FB. That's actually the Nova Blue, but it's pretty close to the Blurple color...the N is my favorite 1800 model.
Thanks! Yeah nova blue. I looked up the color code, I have a feeling I’m gonna need it :)

·
Too short for my weight
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The R,S,N models share the same Manual. Different body work is diplayed. Same as any X , Bareass Choppers is a good site for tech.
Thanks Charlie! I like having the paper version in the shop, so I need to find one

1 - 20 of 54 Posts