Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading that these VTX (1300) are very senstive to the right A/F mix. I got my bike (2005, 1300R) with 1100 miles on it. The Honda dealer was supposed to have gone thru it and clean/service before delivery to me. It seems to run pretty good, but not breathtaking or anything. Do I need to double check any adjustments on this thing?

Some of you guys/gals state that your bikes are running like bats, scalded cats, and various calibers of ammo. You have me wondering about mine and if maybe it needs some TLC.

Thanks for suggesting anything that comes to mind. :hmm2:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stock setup?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
pipes open airbox and rejet

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Well, if it runs fine for you, then leave it be..

There is a Tech Session coming up in Memphis, TN if you would like to see other bikes, etc.

Basically, the VTX 1300's came from the factory Super Lean.. this was to pass strict US emissions. They could all use a little tweak to run a little richer, but its not the end of the world..

If you have to use the choke when it is cold, then you're stock. Just use the choke as little as possible because it is not actually a choke, it is an enricher... Enrichers basically just dump fuel into the carb to run it really rich... so rich that it will foul your plugs with a lot of use.

The SCAR Mod is to solve this issue. Do a search on the SCAR Mod and Geln's Permanent A/F Adjuster. The Glens Adjuster is $40 and well worth it. The SCAR Mod will solve the "cold natured" issue with VTX's.

Ive completely re-jetted mine, and now even in 20 degree weather, I give it one goose of the throttle and it fires right up.

Is there more power when you do this stuff? Yeah, a little... You will feel it... but its nothing jaw-dropping incredible.. its just a little more power and better throttle response. Relatively cheap when you think about it.

Like I said, the Tech Session in Memphis is coming up in September, I think... You might want to go just to see and meet people. If you want to do this stuff but arent comfortable doing it yourself, I can help you with it at the Tech Session.

-Gonz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonz, thanks for the info.

I tried the 'cold start', no choke procedure and she started right up. When riding yesterday, I tried a few accelerations that were more aggressive than normal. I suspect this bike has never been really broken in until me. She is running better every day. I also have been using a non-ethanol gas that seems to yield better performance. Mine is a 05, so maybe the combination of better gas and getting rid of any left over older gas is making the difference. For now, I will just double check the A/F mix and then leave it alone.

Thanks, again!

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
No sweat! You're welcome!

Don't forget about the tech session.. you will learn a ton about your bike, and it isn't all that far from ya..

I noticed your handle... I throw lead down range with a S&W M&P 9mm :)

-Gonz

·
"Livin The Dream"
406 Posts
No sweat! You're welcome!

Don't forget about the tech session.. you will learn a ton about your bike, and it isn't all that far from ya..

I noticed your handle... I throw lead down range with a S&W M&P 9mm :)

-Gonz
Glock 9mm myself. :patriot:

I have been reading that these VTX (1300) are very senstive to the right A/F mix. I got my bike (2005, 1300R) with 1100 miles on it. The Honda dealer was supposed to have gone thru it and clean/service before delivery to me. It seems to run pretty good, but not breathtaking or anything. Do I need to double check any adjustments on this thing?

Some of you guys/gals state that your bikes are running like bats, scalded cats, and various calibers of ammo. You have me wondering about mine and if maybe it needs some TLC.

Thanks for suggesting anything that comes to mind. :hmm2:
Mine run's like a 30.06 shot like a Bat outa H*!! chasing a scalded cat................:choppersm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the S & W family, I have a .50 Cal revolver with 8 3/8 barrel. She is all stainless and does not recoil as badly as my old .40 cal Glock. It will handle up to a 600grain chunk of death and is a real joy to shoot. I put a Leupold 4X pistol scope on her that has a very long eye relief. Seems to me that guns and bikes just go together. I also have a AR, AK, 12ga. street sweeper, etc. Pipes and the fresh smell of gun powder and cordite in the air. Awesome!! P.S. Kimber SIS in Ultra Carry .45 caliber.

The ad on this site suggests an 89 horsepower increase (does the 1300 even have 89 ponies to begin with?). Does anybody have any experience with one of these? Could they be referring to autos instead of bikes?:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
stock x has about 56 57 hp and about 65 foot pounds of torque

1 - 10 of 10 Posts