Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

New bike home...

3K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  chrider 
#1 ·
Well, whether by moderation or software, my previous couple of attempts to update my progress toward the purchase of a new VTX have disappeared into the ether, without posting.
So, finally, I'll just say, the third time is charming, because it's now home.
I finally settled on, configured, and purchased a new-in-the-box(crate?), zero-miles, '09 VTX 1300T (for 'Tourer'), which includes stock the windshield, leather saddle bags, and passenger backrest. I added (myself, after arriving home) a highway bar and luggage rack:
View attachment 20331 View attachment 20332
I think that's it for me. I'm not much into chrome and customizing -- just riding. I can see maybe changing out the seat(s) down the road, or turning the bags into hard-sided ones -- but spending money on 'purties' just doesn't interest me. Means I've got to keep it clean and shiny. I just want to ride.
So, yesterday, I did just that -- 158 miles home. Added 100 or so -- encircling a 232-mile oil change (I'll change it again at c. 832, then every 1,500 miles or so; some call that overkill, but it makes me feel better) -- today. The weather forecast looks spotty the rest of the year, but I'll get on it when I can tolerate the elements.
I plan to add modulating elements to the headlight and brake light (I'm no electrician!) when I ask a local 'cyclesmith' to check/replace the steering-head bearing as part of the c. 600-mile maintenance, which otherwise I'll perform myself.
Otherwise, this bike and I are destined to live with each other through several years of payments, at least. If I want to keep it beyond that, it's a good thing.

See less See more
#8 ·
welcome to the cafe from New York, and congrats on buying a great bike. You will find lots of vtx riders from your neck of the country to ride with if you care to, and lots of forum members who can advise and help you in many areas of your bikes care and performance.

ride if the weather lets you:D
Bry :choppersm

#15 ·
when I ask a local 'cyclesmith' to check/replace the steering-head bearing as part of the c. 600-mile maintenance said:
What is this steering head bearing reference all about? A 600 mile bearing replacement? What's up with that?

#16 ·
Some 1300 riders upgrade their steering stem bearings by removing the old bearings and races and having all balls bearings pressed into place. Is this necessary? Not in my opinion unless the original bearings are damaged and present steering stability problems such as wobbling, or general "looseness". The all balls bearings are a better type of bearing, and an upgrade which can prevent against original bearings failing which will not happen to the vast majority of vtx riders. It's a case of fix now instead of possibly needing to fix later. Each side has its supporters.

#20 ·
which dealership did you purchase your bike through?..
Southern Honda in Chattanooga. Stock price (with just the bags, windshield and backrest) is/was $7,382, or under 65% of its original MSRP.
While they made it clear they don't make much on the bike itself and will be glad to sell you accessories and add-ons, the closest thing to a 'hard sell' I got was over an extended warranty. After I said 'no, thanks' a number of times, they finally offered it to me at their cost (confirmed later by the finance lady's surprised, "Wow, that's pretty much what we pay for it!" while going over my paperwork with her), which I accepted.
When I rode it off the lot, the odometer read "0" miles. They claim they put it together for me 'from the crate', and I see nothing to make me discount that. The salesman reported having several more in like condition.
Between getting it home to Middle Tennessee, and having a couple of decent riding days since, I've put over 300 miles on already, without hiccups. I don't even find post-ride loose fasterners yet.

#18 ·
Oldhack, congratulations on the ride and wow, I do like the color. Wishing you a nice day.

#24 ·
Enjoy the new ride....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.