Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost control of my bike in the garage and it went on its side for about five minutes. When I got it upright, I noticed a small amount of oil leaked out. Just had the 600 mile break in service. Is this possible with a new bike?

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Did the bike land on anything? The bike should not leak oil from leaning over. Is there much obvious damage from the tip over?

Don't worry too much about it, happens to everyone pretty much. I dumped mine in the first two weeks in my garage... just have to learn how to handle the beast.

Mort

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mort,

That's the weird part, only thing with a mark is the saddle bag. It was a very slow and gentle fall. I can't find a scratch. So at first I thought maybe it was just over filled at the break in service. This is my first bike, its brand new, and if its leaking oil, not gonna be happy.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Do you know what part of the bike the oil came from?
And are you sure it's oil?
What side went down?
Oil and moisture droplets will collect in the air cleaner perhaps that all it was.

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
probably just came from the dip stick it might have not been tight enought to hold being totaly submersed in oil I wouldnt worry about it to much

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
probably just came from the dip stick it might have not been tight enought to hold being totaly submersed in oil I wouldnt worry about it to much
+1 chopper.. If it doesn't continue to leak while upright and after running it again, I think you'll be good to go. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This bike is still spotless, so it is very easy to see anything not normal. It has a scratch on the chrome tail pipe and the saddle bag was smudged (has mink oil on it). I looked under it, around it, and can find not a single spot of oil. It was definitely oil though. It was still clear as (just changed two hundred miles ago). I layed paper towels under the bike and they are bone dry so no more oil is leaking. Every inch of the bike is dry, clean, and no signs that it leaked oil. So I haven't a clue. Again the bike was on its side less than five minutes. That's why I was kind of shocked. I am the novice of all novices: this is my first bike. It's six weeks old, and its the first bike I've ever ridden. So this is all new to me. I am hoping it is nothing. It is under warranty, but the thought of a new bike with a problem is not a good one regardless. Hopefully this is nothing.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Having up-righted the bike an not seeing any leaks, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I wouldn't think it would be anything to worry about if it hasn't leaked more. Ride it a bit and check the oil a few hours after the ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, you're not alone. I dropped mine on Sunday while changing the oil. I had a couple boards under the side stand to bring it up to near level. It was too short for my oil catch pan so I was going to roll the rear wheel up onto a 2x. Grabbed the handlebars to roll it,
and without thinking, over pulled, forgetting it was already nearly level. It got away from me and went over softly. Put a smudge in the chrome on the lower side of the lower exhaust pipe. Smaller than a dime, and barely visible unless you get right down there and look closely. Also broke the drag bolt on the bottom of the foot peg. That's a $3 item, and I can live with the smudged chrome. So I feel pretty lucky. Stupid, but lucky it wasn't worse. I'm learning too...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Donut,

It was the initial 600 mile service. Changed oil and filter (went with synthetic oil), adjusted the valves, and did all the inspections and checks. Cost me $275 so I am hoping it was done right.

Fell over on the right side (opposite kick stand side).

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Gumpy I had mine up on boards and decided to check the tire pressure. I unscrewed the front wheel valve cap and just as it came off the valve stem the bike faded away from my hand an I still was holding the cap in my hand - true story. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Donut,

They did the 600 mile break in service.
Checked Crankcase breather
Inspected spark plugs
Changed Oil and filter
Checked Engine Idle Speed
Inspected brake system
Inspected clutch system
Inspected Nuts and bolts
Inspected steering and head bearings
Adjusted valves.

The bike fell on the right side as you are sitting on it (opposite the kick stand side).

Chip

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Donut,

They did the 600 mile break in service.
Checked Crankcase breather
Inspected spark plugs
Changed Oil and filter
Checked Engine Idle Speed
Inspected brake system
Inspected clutch system
Inspected Nuts and bolts
Inspected steering and head bearings
Adjusted valves.

The bike fell on the right side as you are sitting on it (opposite the kick stand side).
My guess is the fluid came out of the breather. Oil and moisture droplets collect in the breather and is a normal function of the crankcase venting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really hope you are right. Gotta get up early for work. Will check back tomorrow am. Thanks everyone for you in puts.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
OK - just wondering because you said they did a 600 mi check and if they pinched the crankcase vent hose that could be a problem but that is on the left side where the leak would occur. So as black dot said above , it could be from the air cleaner and that is a good thing. Oil in the bottom of the air box is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
OK - just wondering because you said they did a 600 mi check and if they pinched the crankcase vent hose that could be a problem but that is on the left side where the leak would occur. So as black dot said above , it could be from the air cleaner and that is a good thing. Oil in the bottom of the air box is a good thing.
I as glad it wasn't the from the shifter shaft seal as well Donut.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts