Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Ladies and Gents,

I'm a newbie and I really am impressed with the X knowledge that is present at any given time on this board. I'm also new to the VTX (former Wide Glide rider). I love it!!! My question is about brake pads. What do the sages recommend? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Holy Batsh#t, a convert! Sorry I can't answer your question but there is alot of knowledge here. Someone will pipe in soon. Welcome, Hamph

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looking at your profile that shows on your post above and see 4,400 miles. If that is all there is on the bike then it shouldn't need brakes. I got about 16,000 on mine (would've been more if I had used the front for 70% of the stopping power like you're supposed to). If you need brakes most seem to go with stock again or EBC. I believe the EBC are a little cheaper. The only downside I see to EBC is that they don't have the slit or groove cut in them. This allows the hot air to build up and therefore makes EBC a tad more noiser. Welcome to the VTX Board.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wrong bike

I also have an '03 750 ACE with 19000 miles. I guess my question was kind of misleading. The VTX will stop on a dime and give you $.08 change!!

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

Again, thanks

Charlie

·
Registered
98 Posts
No matter what brand bike I always lean towards O.E.M. parts when it comes to brakes. You always no that they are designed specifically for your ride.
:choppersm

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
you can't say that by looking at the mileage!

when i got my bike this june with 4700 miles - the brake pads front and rear were almost gone. previous owner was more on the brake than on the throttle, i guess. did only driving around the block!

with now over 10k miles - more than the one before did - my pads are still like new (i do mostly tours of 150 to 400 miles, Highway/countryside, instead of riding in the city.)

so all depend on where you ride and how often you are using the brakes.
the best is to pull the front-pad and have a look.
i heard that some guys are not using the front brake so much - they have to look at the rear-pads first.

ride safe
harry

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
just forgot

i bought ebc - racing pads at ebay for replacing. they have the slit, too and i payed around $40 for two front and one rear set.
ride safe
harry

·
Registered
204 Posts
My wife must have been riding your bike before you got it.

you can't say that by looking at the mileage!

when i got my bike this june with 4700 miles - the brake pads front and rear were almost gone. previous owner was more on the brake than on the throttle, i guess. did only driving around the block!

with now over 10k miles - more than the one before did - my pads are still like new (i do mostly tours of 150 to 400 miles, Highway/countryside, instead of riding in the city.)

so all depend on where you ride and how often you are using the brakes.
the best is to pull the front-pad and have a look.
i heard that some guys are not using the front brake so much - they have to look at the rear-pads first.

ride safe
harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts