Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
17,000 in 8 months.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to get a new clutch and im lookin for a little feedback.i plan on puting it on myself?how hard can this be?what is the best clutch?i ride hard.also a harley tech told me that synthetic oil will make wet clutchs slip.i doute the truth in this, beacuse they have synthetic oil for wet clutches.any feed back would help.thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
i put a barnett carbon fiber clutch in mine last week. When I pulled my OEM clutch out it looked like new, but it was slipping. the steels still had the grind marks from the factory in them and the friction disc measured within .001" of the barnett friction plates. I probably could have shimmed the springs and stopped the slipping. I used the steels from the OEM clutch because of the dimples. I put it all back together no more slipping. spins the tire thru the corners again. yee haw. the hardest part of the change is removing the exhuast. I tried to do it without removing the exhaust but gave up. i heard you could do it but it was to much trouble. be sure to drain the oil 1st. I have never run anything but synthetic oil.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
The Harley Mech was probably meaning you can't run certain ENERGY conserving oils with a wet clutch. There are additives in the standard oils like cars use that will make a wet clutch too slippery and it will slip and burn itself out. Check out the little round symbol on the back label of the oil, and almost all car oils on the bottom half say "Energy Conserving". Not all synthetics bear that marking...and NO MC oil does as far as I know.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Dont know much about clutches, but I know there have been numerous threads about oils and lots of guys and gals here use synthetic. I'm using it but this is my first bike to use it on while others here have MANY miles without problems. As stated, just don't use Energy Conserving oils.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts