Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1 1/2 years ago i got a set of ceramic cookware.
The biggest wast of $$$ i have ever spent in cooking .

I started looking about a month ago for a new set.
Decided to go to kohls yesterday morning and came home with a new set of stainless triply food network brand .
I was surprised with what they called early bird special price was 239 and i got out at 149 and that includes tax

So far 3 meals Cook and it is so much better than the old crap clean up is about 80 % eaiser
Heat is even and i think i did good so far.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
If it is working for you, that's what matters. If you are talking about pot and pans, my wife has purchased two sets of Calphalon brand cookware in the last few years. One for each home. I'm not sure where she got it but probably Kohls or Bed, Bath, or Beyond. She loves it and it cleans up easy and seems to be lasting well. We tried to "season" a cast iron skillet using flaxseed oil and instructions from the interwebs but it didn't work worth a darn. We could never get that layer of baked on oil that is critical to a cast iron skillet. We'll stick with modern Teflon based chemistry like that in the Calphalon.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cast iron stuff is great! The seasoning is a little funny, but I've had great luck with vegetable oil... Never tried flaxseed.

You got a great deal there! I think I paid nearly that for my Dutch oven from le cruset, but it's my favorite pot! The other amazing pan I have is a copper-core, stainless steal braising pan. Heats so evenly!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to get one of those sets Jim but everything was huge it is just me i Cook for.

I used to have cast iron and it took many oven treatments to get them seasoned.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Is this what we're down to talking about is pots and pans? :gah:Can't beat 'em join 'em I've been wanting one of those Kitchenaid stand mixers forever (I like to bake, doesn't make me gay it makes me fat, don't judge!)

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least i posted it on the food forum.

Going to do chicken fajitas for my main meal today.

I think i will maybe get one of the new wave burners next so i can control heat better

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I don't nuke most foods even when they are left overs.
Right - Like Pizza - anyone doing that in micro is nuts.
I throw it in frying pan on lowest heat till crust is better than it arrived.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Is this what we're down to talking about is pots and pans? :gah:Can't beat 'em join 'em I've been wanting one of those Kitchenaid stand mixers forever (I like to bake, doesn't make me gay it makes me fat, don't judge!)
Mylilpony got the Artisan model of one of those Kitchenaid mixers about a year and a half ago and she loves it. Makes bread, cookies, and lots of other goodies for me :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Mylilpony got the Artisan model of one of those Kitchenaid mixers about a year and a half ago and she loves it. Makes bread, cookies, and lots of other goodies for me :)

G'day,

Vinish
Can't beat them - pretty much industrial grade - I have an older one -
But when buddies girl friend was making extreme treats for all of us -
I bought her a red one - Should have put flames on it.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Sounds like a great deal Charlie. We've also got a set of Calphalon. Good stuff.

I'm a cast iron person, wife uses the Calphalon. I found the easiest way to season, or re-season, is to sand/clean well, oil thoroughly, and heat outside on grill. Keeps the stink out the house. Biggest mistake someone can make with cast iron is not drying completly, and re-applying oil after cleaning. Need to keep that layer of oil.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Sounds like a great deal Charlie. We've also got a set of Calphalon. Good stuff.

I'm a cast iron person, wife uses the Calphalon. I found the easiest way to season, or re-season, is to sand/clean well, oil thoroughly, and heat outside on grill. Keeps the stink out the house. Biggest mistake someone can make with cast iron is not drying completly, and re-applying oil after cleaning. Need to keep that layer of oil.
I studied about 10 websites with instructions for properly seasoning a cast iron skillet. The consensus was to use flaxseed oil and successive very light oilings and heatings in the oven. I did this without success. Eventually I gave up and stuck with the Calphalon. Better living through chemistry :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
I studied about 10 websites with instructions for properly seasoning a cast iron skillet. The consensus was to use flaxseed oil and successive very light oilings and heatings in the oven. I did this without success. Eventually I gave up and stuck with the Calphalon. Better living through chemistry :)

G'day,

Vinish
10-4 on chemistry. :)

Got some hand-me-downs from grand parents, were sitting in my folks damp garage for years. Took lots of work to re-season, but been good for seven years now. Once seasoned, keep dry and oiled. That is key.

Or, just use stainless steel. Lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts