Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
mooneydriver - I use Ride On in all my bikes (4). MC version says it fills holes to 1/8". The ATV version fills up to 1/4", per Ride On. Know many MC riders use the ATV version even tho it's thicker and takes a while to loosen and balance after sitting too long. Haven't tried it myself.....yet. My Ride On has either worked perfectly to fill any punctures or I've been lucky and not gotten one. I can say the balancing properties are outstanding!

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,033 Posts
mooneydriver - I use Ride On in all my bikes (4). MC version says it fills holes to 1/8". The ATV version fills up to 1/4", per Ride On. Know many MC riders use the ATV version even tho it's thicker and takes a while to loosen and balance after sitting too long. Haven't tried it myself.....yet. My Ride On has either worked perfectly to fill any punctures or I've been lucky and not gotten one. I can say the balancing properties are outstanding!
The ATV version holds up to bigger holes because of the low tire pressure, not because of a big difference in formula.
The average ATV runs 5-10 PSI and bikes run 35-45 PSI.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Weather here has been cold, damp & rainy. Haven't gotten to do much at all on the bike. Waiting for the weather to improve so I can move a couple of my other bikes from my shed to a friend's place.....give me room to work on the X. Battery is good, PC III isn't the issue. Gonna do the ground and test the FPR next.

Can't believe the PO was riding around w/o any rear bracket on the exhaust pipes, just the header bolts holding it "together"! I'm nervous pushing it around my carport like this!

Will keep posting here as I get closer to being "ride ready".
PO's can be crazy. All kinds of crazy stuff with my bike when I got it. Surprised exhaust wasn't dragging on yours.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Finally got around to doing some work on this bike. Background: hard to start and ran like crap (unrideable) when I bought it. Then, wouldn't start at all, just turns over and never sounds like it's going to catch. Has hypercharger and PC III. No difference with PC hooked up or not.

Had the battery load tested: fine. Fixed the 2 grounds, changed the FPR, new iridium plugs.....no joy! Took off the hypercharger and the filter was coated with dark oil. Cleaned it and have it drying. Cleaned the throttle bodies, cranked while spraying starter fluid and it fired up nicely. Runs as long as I keep spraying. Can hear the pump prime when I turn the key on.....SO: what are your thoughts as to next step? Am I looking at fuel filter, fuel pump......?? Thought I'd disconnect supply line from tank and check flow rate (don't have anything to check pressure), but if the flow is "low" does that mean the pump is bad or maybe the filter is clogged and restricting flow?

As you might have guessed, I'm an amateur mechanic!

Help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. Yep, Toledo, WA is all of 800 souls....love it that way! Lived in TX for many years, EP, DFW, Austin, SA. Used to tell folks I wasn't from TX, but got there as quick as I could. Would move back in a heart beat....but my better half has lots of family here.

Rode my Nomad down to TX this past summer. Put 7K miles on her in the month I rode. Loved the ride, hated the heat!!!
Best to go South in the Winter and North in the summer!!! Been there, done that!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
Finally got around to doing some work on this bike. Background: hard to start and ran like crap (unrideable) when I bought it. Then, wouldn't start at all, just turns over and never sounds like it's going to catch. Has hypercharger and PC III. No difference with PC hooked up or not.

Had the battery load tested: fine. Fixed the 2 grounds, changed the FPR, new iridium plugs.....no joy! Took off the hypercharger and the filter was coated with dark oil. Cleaned it and have it drying. Cleaned the throttle bodies, cranked while spraying starter fluid and it fired up nicely. Runs as long as I keep spraying. Can hear the pump prime when I turn the key on.....SO: what are your thoughts as to next step? Am I looking at fuel filter, fuel pump......?? Thought I'd disconnect supply line from tank and check flow rate (don't have anything to check pressure), but if the flow is "low" does that mean the pump is bad or maybe the filter is clogged and restricting flow?

As you might have guessed, I'm an amateur mechanic!

Help is appreciated.
It would probably be a good idea to go over your vacuum hoses looking for cracks, disconnected hoses, etc. Carb cleaner spray is good for finding vacuum leaks, when you hit one you will hear the engine rev up, course that doesn't help much if you can't get it to start. Also check the hyper charger it is vacuum activated and you may have a vacuum leak internally in there, pull hose and cap off to verify!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
10 Participants
SPARKY5151
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing