Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone... I've just acquired my first VTX. My objectives was to find a cruiser with enough size and power to allow my wife and I to take weekend trips around our fair state of Michigan (now that the kids are grown and mostly gone). We found a black/maroon 2006 VTX 1800r Spec 2 that was basically bone stock with only 5800 miles. This was only its third season in service (having been bought new in April 2011). It was in good shape, thanks to the care of its previous owner ... a middle-aged adult like me who had no need to do anything on the road except to keep himself and his passenger safe. All service was done by a local Honda dealer, and is still under warranty, so I felt pretty confident in it. We made a deal for $7,000, and I was on my way. We've only had time for a couple of "get acquainted" rides this month since the weather has turned cold and wet in West Michigan, but it next year is anything like this year was ... well, let's just say it'll have a fair bit more miles on it! I've really enjoyed reading all the posts here, and will be watching for opportunities to get in on good parts deals, so keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
17,021 Posts
The first thing you will likely need to change, and your wife WILL tell you, is that ass-buster of a stock seat. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, PaXman11, but she beat you to it. Am actively looking for ways to avoid the cost of Mustang replacements and still enjoy that level of comfort.

·
Registered
71 Posts
that is an eye-catching beauty. congratulations!

·
9,160 Posts
Love that 2-tone paint job. :mosh: Welcome to the Cafe from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a great day.
Pretty ride!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 2008 same model & colour. What i`ve learned 1- the engine likes to rev a little 2- this is a highway bike (feels real good at 75mph) 3-get a Grasshopper backrest you`ll like riding it even more 4- it`s not hard to work on (get a Clymer manual) and a bike lift for wash & wax 5- do searches for the problems you will have (this is a good site) 6- most important of all go to a tech weekend ( Big Kahuna down in Paw Paw) checking valve clearance is the thing to know. Stay safe enjoy the X

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome from Elkhart, Indiana! I'll hope to see ya at Kahuna's next year. We also have a Meet n greet at Lunkers in Edwardsburg, MI in February-March.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts