Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening from Rainbow City, AL,

I appreciate the opportunity to be part of the forum. Always looking to meet new riders.

My name is Dennis. I ride a 2002 Honda 1800VTX, normally do 12-15,000 a year, unfortunately dropped the bike on my left leg last year, breaking it. Had the hardware removed last week and should be riding in about 2 weeks.

I own/operate a company called "Motorcycle-Maps.us". We have been producers of individual state paper maps, however, this year we are shifting to an iPhone and Droid app. Looking forward to the road ahead. We are always looking for new routes/new businesses.

If you're ever in the north Alabama area drop me a line and let's ride.
Safe travels,
Dennis aka "Maps"

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Welcome from an hour and a half or so down in Montgomery. You've got a good guy that lives in South Side that goes by the name of Dr Radar. Send him a PM some time

·
Registered
3,835 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Kansas City, MO.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,192 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from North Idaho

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome from the Florida Treasure Coast!

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
First of all: A big “Hey!" and "Howdy, Yall” from muggy central South Carolina...a hurricane haven since Hugo.

We put the ugh in “Muggy”! :47b20s0:

We have several members from Alabama and many of them ride with members from Tennessee.

Many of us here at the Café travel far, ride long (some VERY hard - we've got a LOT of Iron Butt Association awardees), stay comfy, look cool and watch each other's backs! We’re a lot more like distant relatives than just fellow bike owners.

You're gonna LOVE the twisties, country rides, commuting and even the interstates on a VTX. The X brings a whole different world to those experiences.

Now that you have a VTX you will be soon thinking of making her/it "your own". When you do, you may want to get or modify some of the following...starting with the most common modifications to your bike. They would be...
VTX Mods to do in the interest of SAFETY:
• Louder Horn (get air horns; most have the Stebel or the equivalent) - always get a relay when you add electrical parts.
• Highway/Engine/Crash Bars (Cobra Fatties are well proven and look badass on the X, regular bars tend to look like coat hangers - The VTRX was designed and built to be a "Muscle" Cruiser. Don't wimp it out.)
• Flashing tail lights and Front riding/running lights.
• Replace the stock front wheel bearings (put in All Balls) - especially if you have a 1300.
• Replace the stock front fork bearings (put in All Balls) - especially if you have a 1300.

VTX Mods in the interest of COMFORT:
• Get rid of the stock seat (go Mustang, Ultimate or customize the stock) as soon as you can. The cost can be a shock, but if you are NOT comfortable to sit for more than 20 minutes you will not ride and thus not enjoy your X.
• Replace the stock rear shock bushings (use mil spec polyurethane, not rubber or nylon).
• Cover up the HIGH BEAM (super nova) indicator on your instrument panel before you ride at night, especially out in the country. It’s brighter than you think and very distracting. Some just use a paper tab sticker; others stick part of a cotton ball up in the light housing to dull it.
• Get Glenn's Clutch Relief put in as soon as you can (1300 only). It takes the clutch from feeling like you’re squeezing a vise grip to squeezing butter. This is especially vital if you commute or ride in/through towns very much or ride twisties for long periods of time where you’re constantly engine braking.
VTX Mods in GENERAL:
• Get the Glenn's Remote A/F knob put on your carburetor (1300 only). Having to take off the tank and air box to make an adjustment is WAY too much work. The 1300 is a bit "cold blooded" so being able to adjust the carb on the side of road is a blessing at times.
• The "choke" is NOT your friend! Use it sparingly, if ever. It's actually a fuel enricher and will cause nothing but trouble for you if you get stupid with it.
• Attend any/all of the FREE VTX tech sessions offered in your area or plan on making a ride to attend one offered elsewhere where you can receive help, guidance and assistance in these matters and learn more about your bike by helping to work on others’.
• Until you decide differently, keep your front and rear tires at 40 psi and check them every time before you ride. You may choose to go lower on your rear tire. That is a personal comfort decision you will make on your own. The front tire will always remain at 40 psi.
• Start considering the possibility of a car tire on your rear wheel - It's called going over to the "Dark Side" (besides...they have cookies, I’m told). If curious or interested, feel free to check out (in sequence) these three threads:
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=63872
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=64172
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.ph...t=final+report
• You will rarely ever hear of any problems or work needed on the engine. That's because it IS a Honda. While Honda has not done well by X-Riders in general, they did make a great bike in the VTX line.
• In that same vein, we are ALL "X-Riders", NOT Honda riders. For most of us and for a LOT of different reasons, our loyalty is to the bike, NOT the manufacturer. For these same reasons and general aesthetics, many X-Riders strip the bike of its decals and some (not the majority) even remove the winged mask badges from the tank. and the vast majority of us prefer to refer to our bikes as "VTX", "X" or our engine size (1300 or 1800).
Oh...one more important thing... If your X is not Blue...consider a new paint job. You’re probably going way too slow otherwise.
As for other modifications/accessories, the world is your oyster!

SOME UNSPOKEN RULES OF THE CAFE:

• Check in here EVERY day or so for info recent. Use the SEARCH feature for those topics that might most likely have been covered previously. However, DO feel free to ask questions. Visit the General Forum, YOUR bike forum (1300 or 1800) as often as you can. Certainly feel free to socialize and get a better feel for the folks as people in the Off Topic Forum (or in the live Chat feature, if that’s your thing) as well.
• Put a bit more thought into what would be the BEST forum for your postings, both to be seen by the most it could concern or get help from and, of course, the content of your post.
• No matter what VTX issues you bring up it's probably been hashed a few dozen times already...if not in its own thread, then brought up somewhere within others previously posts. The nice thing about THIS forum is someone will most likely answer you even if they've done so on the same subject a thousand times before.
• If someone writes a post that you feel is outstanding, offers a new and/or unique modification to the bike or gear, or proffers advise that makes a big difference for you, then be sure to add to their forum "Reputation" by clicking on the little star at the lower left of their post.
• We're not big on belittling folks till we get to know you...then watch out!
• If you visit enough you're going to learn a lot of new things about your bike, it's upkeep and repair (if/when neeeded). You'll certainly learn about us as a community, our various groups of regional riders. You will probably even learn alot more yourself as well.
• If, after a while, you find this site to be a positive and productive place for you, then please consider becoming a sponsor of the Ray's site. A mere $25 goes a long way in defraying the cost of keeping such a unique and giving place a home.

Hopefully your bike is blue. It's the fastest color and will keep you happy longer and can even cure anything from Alzheimer’s to Zits...testing is still in progress, your results may vary.

Well, that's enough to get you started. I won't remember you or even writing this, so you'll just have to post a lot (or try to find me at one of the Meet & Greets).
Speaking of posting a lot... if you mention a change, modification or new/different ANYthing in one of your posts, then we fully expect PHOTOS! Describing something only in words on this forum won't make it without someone demanding to see it.
Everyone here is a total picture junky and we want to see what our fellow X-Riders are up to...for good or bad!
Have fun... WE do!
Oh...if you don't know what "Liver Mush" is, you probably should try to find out (THAT’S a great way to learn to use the Search feature here), but don’t believe anyone that actually implies they might actually “like” it!

REMINDERS:

There are a few minor, but well-recognized, issues with the X just as there are with ANY bike. You'll just notice X owners are most likely to bring them out in the open early and often to help each other out…especially here in the Cafe.

Some of the other known possible issues (for most of us, not all - you're "mileage" may vary) are:
• The VTX speedometer (Speedo) is 5-12% off (most are an even 10% over your actual speed). The majority of folk just get used to it and ignore the issue entirely. Others use GPS so much they don't even use the speedo (frankly, I hate riding with these folks leading a ride because most of them are "GPS blind" and often get groups lost, but that's a whole 'nother thread). Mine was 10% off (as are most) but it dropped down to only 6% off when I changed the rear tire to a car tire.
• Stock Seats totally SUCK for any distance riding. Most get either the Mustang or Ultimate after-market seats, usually wide and with a back rest.
• High Beam indicator iight (blue) is too bright at night, especially in rural night ridings.
• Front Fork Bearings (at the wheel hub) of the 1300 MUST be replaced (most use All-Balls) ...or else you'll discover the topic: "Death Wobble."
• Stock Horn isn't worth a worm's crap as far as volume is concerned...about as effective as a bike bell (get an air horn).
• Handle bars are too far forward for most, especially on the C's with the beach/drag/cruiser bars, which causes shoulder/elbow pain or aches for many X Riders. Solution: Get Risers - doesn't matter if they raise or lower the bars (your preference), just get them in closer to you. My risers lowered my bars and brought them almost 2 inches closer. She's a dream to ride long-distance (in conjunction with my Mustang Wide Sport Touring seat w/ backrest) and snakes through the curves like Jessica Rabbit.
• Clutch is too stiff and painful for city riding with lots of stops or lights. On the 1300's this is EASILY (and cheaply) fixed with Glenn's Clutch Relief. This is one of the biggest and easiest mods done to X's at any of the FREE VTX Tech Sessions in your area. If you do this, be sure to get "The TOOL." Even if you don't return if for a refund, it's worth the cost!
• Stock Pipes are way too quiet for your safety (IMHO). There are several inexpensive mods you can perform to increase the volume and rumble so you can at least hear the bike start up in a crowd. For some, that is all they need or want. For others it's a nice temporary measure until they find and get the "ideal" after-market pipes they crave.
• Motorcycle tires wear out WAY too quickly and cost WAY too much for what you are getting. This is only one reason (in a long list of them) that several X Riders have crossed over to the Dark Side, i.e. putting a car tire on the rear wheel (...some even go Double Darkside and have a CT on the rear and rear MC tire on the front!)

So...how's THAT for some "quick" tips?

If you'd like a short, yet entertaining, snap-shot of what it's like to be an active part of this group, then I strongly advise reading this post. Again, for entertainment only. Don't judge anyone by what you laugh at: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=77272
Again... "WELCOME ABOARD" the Cafe and have fun!

Ya'll pass a good time now, hear?!!

:choppersm

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Welcome from Scottsboro. You wouldn't happen to know a fellow named Chip would you?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
welcome from pittsburgh pa

1 - 20 of 23 Posts