Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new member living in Pittsburgh PA. I just bought my first VTX about two weeks ago. It's a 2003 1300S. I got it from a buddy at work who kept it in his garage for 4 or 5 years. It’s in great shape. After doing some well needed maintenance on it, it fired right up. The VTX’s have a great sound. Not too loud not to quiet. It came with a windshield, mustang seat, back rest for both front and rear, leather saddle bags, the Clymer manual and the original seat. It’s got about 28K miles and I paid 3K for it. I’m happy with the price and definitely happy with the bike. The spring can’t get here fast enough. I’ll post some pictures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe! Your story is like mine, 2003, 1300s, bought from a work friend for $2900, 21000 miles About five years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newtovtx,

Thanks for the welcoming. I'm glad this group is pretty active. I've already gotten some great information from it.

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
Very nice! Always liked red. Welcome from 90 miles east of you high atop the Alleghenies, near 1889 flood damsite. What part of da 'Burgh ya from? GO PENS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! Always liked red. Welcome from 90 miles east of you high atop the Alleghenies, near 1889 flood damsite. What part of da 'Burgh ya from? GO PENS!
GO PENS. I'm in the Economy area. About 18 miles north of downtown Pittsburgh.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
What is an "economy area"?

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
Just the name of a small town or suburb of da 'Burgh. North Hills, Wexford area for reference.

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
Yes. I spent a week there one day, lol. I see you are over on the VTXOA also, and asked about your tires. Look for a small circular raised indicator on the sidewall. It will have a 4 digit # such as 2216. That example says it was made in the 22nd week of 2016. Easy to figure if they are more than 4-5 years old. The rubber gets hard, loses its gripping ability for traction, braking, handling. micro cracking is beginning, starting dry rot. Regardless of amount of tread remaining, is risking your safety worth not replacing old rubber? FWIW, I installed 90* steel stems for air ease, and I run Ride-On internal gel balancer/ sealer for insurance while riding far from home, from punctures you might pick up. All it takes is ONE time, and you'll swear it was worth it to get you to a garage or home. Count me as a satisfied user. I also recommend replacing ALL of your fuses with the EZ-ID kind that light up when they pop, and eventually one or more will, especially when wiring aftermarket goodies like lights, radio's, what have you. Saves a bunch of time tracking it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. I spent a week there one day, lol. I see you are over on the VTXOA also, and asked about your tires. Look for a small circular raised indicator on the sidewall. It will have a 4 digit # such as 2216. That example says it was made in the 22nd week of 2016. Easy to figure if they are more than 4-5 years old. The rubber gets hard, loses its gripping ability for traction, braking, handling. micro cracking is beginning, starting dry rot. Regardless of amount of tread remaining, is risking your safety worth not replacing old rubber? FWIW, I installed 90* steel stems for air ease, and I run Ride-On internal gel balancer/ sealer for insurance while riding far from home, from punctures you might pick up. All it takes is ONE time, and you'll swear it was worth it to get you to a garage or home. Count me as a satisfied user. I also recommend replacing ALL of your fuses with the EZ-ID kind that light up when they pop, and eventually one or more will, especially when wiring aftermarket goodies like lights, radio's, what have you. Saves a bunch of time tracking it down.
I checked out the date on my tires and it looks like I’ll be adding new tires to the list of stuff to get. The date on the back tire is 1013. It has a lot of tread but man that’s an old tire. I’m going to get the size and shop around for the best price. Does everyone have a favorite place to buy tires online?

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
A lot of fellas buy for best $$ @ Rocky Mtn. ATV or someplace like that. Vinish, one of our Mods here, buys all his stuff from them. If you ask him he can verify the name. Some use Dennis Kirk. I have had good service and fair prices from my local Honda Powersports parts supply house.

·
Super Moderator
9,678 Posts
Yep, Rocky Mt. ATV for tires - best prices, free shipping, very good service, fast delivery.

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
Hello, I'm a new member living in Pittsburgh PA. I just bought my first VTX about two weeks ago. It's a 2003 1300S. I got it from a buddy at work who kept it in his garage for 4 or 5 years. It’s in great shape. After doing some well needed maintenance on it, it fired right up. The VTX’s have a great sound. Not too loud not to quiet. It came with a windshield, mustang seat, back rest for both front and rear, leather saddle bags, the Clymer manual and the original seat. It’s got about 28K miles and I paid 3K for it. I’m happy with the price and definitely happy with the bike. The spring can’t get here fast enough. I’ll post some pictures.
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you well!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts