Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi and ask for advice.
Have 02' VTX 1800S and am looking for saddlebags and mount advice.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Welcome to The Cafe from San Diego,

Are you looking for Hard Bags, Leather, Throw Over or Hard mounted bags?
You can try the searh feature above and pull up a lot of ideas.

·
2,807 Posts
hello from the showme state.

i bet if you search around, you will see that a lot of folks myself included think they want leather the first go around and then end up with lockable hardbags in the end. it is all personal choice.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Welcome!

My advice with bags is do not do generic throw overs. Get hard mount bags. They look better and do not scuff / scratch the paint.

As far as which bags, like others say, you need to note the look you'd like to achieve.

I recently got bags from Viking and as satisfied (quality and mounting) but as I've mentioned to others on here it doesn't really achieve the look I was going for. (http://www.vikingbags.com/Honda-Vtx-SaddleBags-1300-R-S-Plain-Touring-Specific-Bag-7634-prd1.htm)

They will work now but at a $250.00 loss, I will eventually replace them with hard-mount molded saddle bags (similar to Bassdude404).

So, consider the overall look of the bike and then members' here, I’m sure, can guide you on where to get some bags in that style.

Regards,
Frank

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Throw-overs can be done without scratching the paint on the fender...Just lay a piece of felt between the yoke and the fender...Did that when I was using these bags...

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,259 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from North Idaho

Started with Viking and now have Tsukayu strongs. Not only consider the looks you want, but what and how much you want to carry. Some may hold a jacket, but wont hold a laptop or vice versa.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
here's a shout out from Calgary Alberta - may you ride with the wind at your back, the sun overhead and the road endlessly winding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saddlebags

Thanks for the advice.
I'm looking for hard bags and have an interest in the edge bags and mount system.

My goal is to maxamize the size of the bags within the 02' envelope. I'm finding it difficult to figure out sizes. I have all original OEM equipment including mufflers.

Thanks for wishes! Given the weather this winter and spring here in Michigan I'll take all of the conditions you have suggested.

what kind of bags are you using in the photo?

Thanks for your response...looking for leather look in hard bag. Have been eyeing the edge bags with same quick detach mounts. I want the largest bag possible to fit in the size limitations of the 02' VTX 1800S.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a wonderful day. :patriot:

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Moyock, NC. If you do a search on this site for tsuyaku bags, several members have posted pics of their hard bags installed. Another option would be look at members pics of what they have installed. Lots of different styles and looks out there so it really does come down to personal choice.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Welcome to The Cafe from sunny Shelby, NC (The Livermush Capital of the World)

-Ride Safe

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Welcome from Idaho...

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:

·