Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Name's Brett and I am new to the forum. I owned a shadow ace 750 a couple of years ago and sold it with plans of upgrading the size when I was able.....well......with the apparent impact of market conditions on prices...it seems I am now able.

In Central Florida, some cycletrader and craigslist searches have shown that I can pick up an '06 or so VTX 1300C for approximately 3500. I actually saw one with 6k miles for only 3000 on cycletrader (still posted), but I waited and someone else jumped on it.

3500 is my max. I think I should be able to get a stock 06 for that price. What sort of mileage should I be looking for? How much is too much? Does anyone have any other advice on what I should be looking out for during my search? Thanks everyone!

Brett

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
If you can find any year with any amount of miles on it for $3500 I say JUMP on it. The VTX is good for 100K if maintained.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting.......there is one in particular I'm looking at that has 13.5k miles and is listed for 3700 (I'm assuming I can get for under 3500.

mscales....is 3500 much less than the prices you are seeing in CA? I figured that prices here might be a bit lower here. The main demographic in central florida would have been hard hit by the recession....

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Brett,

Welcome to the Cafe from South Georgia; in reference to your question, I recommend you use NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/ once you find a VTX you are interested in buying. At NADA, it will tell you the low and average retail value of the bike and then you can decide if the price they are asking for is a fair price or not. Just select Motorcycles, then used motorcycle values in NADA.

If you are not bike savvy, you might want to have someone that is check out the bike for you or take it to a shop and have them inspect it for you. Better to do this on used bikes to make sure you don't wind up with someone else's problems/headaches.

The VTX overall is a great bike however you need to see and find out what the previous owner did or didn't do to the bike before you purchase it.

Good luck. :patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
3500 is dirt cheep for any year of the vtx so if you want to take advantage of someone while they are down on their luck remember it always comes back on you.
+1, I have an 06 (that's not for sale,lol) and you wouldn't have a shot at mine for less than $5,500 on a good day.
All the years are great bikes so you can't go wrong with any year or model. On mine I average between 38 to 45 mpg depending on the riding style of the day.

P.S. Welcome to the Cafe.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had my '06 on Craigslist for a while at $5,995...now have decided to keep it. It's too good a bike to sell for that. To answer your original question, any miles under 50,000 would be no cause for concern, but there ought to be lots and lots with under 20,000.

CW

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
06 1300 should be $5000-5500 depending on the mileage. $3500 suggests a problem of some kind. Look it over carefully.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On long island most of the good looking 1300 x's can be bought for between
3700 and 5000. If there are lots of accessories, price may go a bit higher.
If the bike has under 5000 miles (and plenty of them do up North) that would also raise the asking price.
You also might want to decide if you want a spoke wheel X or cast wheel X. The C model has cast wheels, smaller fenders, sporty looking bike. The R model has cast wheels, but retro fenders and styling, The S is pure retro with spoke wheels.
Good Luck, the market is definitely a buyers market now.
Bry

PS if the seller has tears in his eyes, you might want to give him a break and say, sorry, i'm not buying, you look waay too unhappy.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
At those prices make sure they have a NON SALVAGE title. If they do have a salvage title make sure your insurance company will insure the bike before you buy. Most bikes that get a salvage title are totaled but not really damaged beyond the bolt-on parts like tank, fenders and so on which really run up the tab.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies all. I will certainly make sure to inspect the bikes and I have enough knowledge to do so. It certainly is sad that some people have to let their bikes go when they don't want to. So far the sellers I have spoken with are young and are regretting impulse purchases. Some of them just need quick money and aren't willing to wait for the higher price to bring buyers. I'll post what I find :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well you guys were damn right. I showed up at this guys house to find the most abused VTX I have laid eyes on.

- Sun faded everything
- Dents scratches and dings EVERYWHERE. I mean this thing looked like it was attacked with a ball peen hammer.
- Missing caps on triple tree
- Risers not stock. Aftermarket shit with peeling chrome.
- Pipes dented and rusted all over
- Bike was orange, front fender was RED. He said the original was stolen and he found that one online.

I told him to f off and left.

NOW. I have realized that I am going to need to spend a bit more to get quality. I was originally willing to spend 3500, and then add pipes. I have now found what I think might be a great deal and I want your opinions.

I am going tomorrow to look at a 06 1300C with 2000 miles. The owner told me on the phone that the bike looks like it is on the showroom floor. He says it doesn't even have marks from washing it. Here is the description.

"2006 Honda VTX1300C- 2100 miles Black/Chrome beauty. Better than new with BUB Jughugger pipes, Kuryakyn ISO grips, full foot boards, Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit, smoked lenses.... all at almost half the price of new. Bike has factory extended warranty until Feb/2012. Nothing to see, looks like showroom."

After some discussion, he agreed to let it go for 4,600....and of course I'd have to pay tax bringing it to 4,900

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Sounds like a much better bike, you will need to get that DJ kit out of the carb and put in the factory pro kit if you want it to run the best it can, no need to do right away though.

If it has the stock seat you will need to save up for a better one.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Re the 06 1300 C - If as advertised, it is a good deal. May run like crap because of the Dynojet kit, but that is easily (and cheaply) fixed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It would be a good idea to ask if he still has the stock parts he took off the carb. I bet they are in the dynojet plastic case. Tell him you want it.

Then Charlie D, Gonz, and others will fix you up doing a scar mod.

·
Registered
95 Posts
06 1300 should be $5000-5500 depending on the mileage. $3500 suggests a problem of some kind. Look it over carefully.
Ditto!

Well you guys were damn right. I showed up at this guys house to find the most abused VTX I have laid eyes on.

- Sun faded everything
- Dents scratches and dings EVERYWHERE. I mean this thing looked like it was attacked with a ball peen hammer.
- Missing caps on triple tree
- Risers not stock. Aftermarket shit with peeling chrome.
- Pipes dented and rusted all over
- Bike was orange, front fender was RED. He said the original was stolen and he found that one online.

I told him to f off and left.

NOW. I have realized that I am going to need to spend a bit more to get quality. I was originally willing to spend 3500, and then add pipes. I have now found what I think might be a great deal and I want your opinions.

I am going tomorrow to look at a 06 1300C with 2000 miles. The owner told me on the phone that the bike looks like it is on the showroom floor. He says it doesn't even have marks from washing it. Here is the description.

"2006 Honda VTX1300C- 2100 miles Black/Chrome beauty. Better than new with BUB Jughugger pipes, Kuryakyn ISO grips, full foot boards, Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit, smoked lenses.... all at almost half the price of new. Bike has factory extended warranty until Feb/2012. Nothing to see, looks like showroom."

After some discussion, he agreed to let it go for 4,600....and of course I'd have to pay tax bringing it to 4,900

What are your thoughts?
That's very in line for the correct pricing. You will probably need to go back to stock jets with Bubs however (I did with my 06C & Bubs). New, they will set you back around $50-$75.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a nice day. :patriot:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts