Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members this is my official first post so please bare with me so I bought a 2006 VTX 1300c from my buddy which bought the bike new so it’s been sitting up for years and I’m getting it ready to ride.

Now I haven’t been on bike since my teen years so I’m kinda afraid to be honest with you but I think it’s all going to come back to me.

Now the bike needs tires where should I buy them at a good price?
Thanks! Roland

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Hello members this is my official first post so please bare with me so I bought a 2006 VTX 1300c from my buddy which bought the bike new so it’s been sitting up for years and I’m getting it ready to ride.

Now I haven’t been on bike since my teen years so I’m kinda afraid to be honest with you but I think it’s all going to come back to me.

Now the bike needs tires where should I buy them at a good price?
Thanks! Roland
The main Mod here, Vinish, and a few others, all swear by Rocky Mtn. ATV or Rocky Mtn. Tire, IDK. There was a world-wide rubber shortage last year, and along with delays in everyone's shipping pipelines, makes finding the tires you might want, a tough choice. You may have to settle for some lesser brand for now, and with any shortage, prices get passed to the user with a big increase.

Reactions: vtx-1300

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
As PaXman11 says, I highly recommend Rocky Mountain ATV online to buy tires. They are the cheapest I have found, have a wide selection, and have free fast shipping. Plan on another $30-50 per tire to have the old tires removed and discarded, the new tires installed, and the new tires balanced. This price is if YOU remove the wheels from the bike and take them, along with the new tires to the shop doing the work. If you take the bike somewhere, they will charge you even more to remove the wheels. If that is your plan, you should see how much the shop or other shops, including dealers, will charge you for a complete new tire install if you buy the tires from them. It may be cheaper than online prices.

As for tire brands, my current favorites are Dunlop Elite 3 or Elite 4, and Metzler ME888. Michelin makes a good bike tire. I think their good bike tires are called Commander 2. Of course, you need to find tires of the sizes that will fit your bike.

Also as PaXman11 says, there is a global shortage of tires right now so you may struggle to find tires in the sizes needed for your bike. Best of luck.

Reactions: vtx-1300

·
Registered
36 Posts
The last three tires I have purchased came from Cycle Gear, but I have also had good luck with Rocky Mountain ATV in the past.
Cycle gear was $2 per tire more than Rocky Mountain ATV but Rocky Mountain charges me tax and Cycle Gear doesnt making Cycle Gear cheaper in the end.
Cost difference is negligible but for me Cycle Gear shipping is MUCH faster.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Any word on Michelin tires I know car and truck tires are good??
Michelin Commander II's were OK, a step up for me from the Metzeler 880. But the Michelins have newer Cmdr. III's IDK about. I've liked my Dunlop Elite 4 more than the Mich.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
867 Posts
I have found that the most available tires for 1300 C model is:
Dunlop D404---- crappy tires, grip pretty good but didn't last me but about 8000 miles(rear)

Avon Cobra Crome---AV91 front 110/90-19 rear AV92 170/80-15 for about $360 w a $60 rebate til sometime in October

There are some Shinko's, maybe Metzler's, but not something that I want to run on my bike.

I have 10,000 miles(7000miles pulling a trailer) on the Avons mentioned above, probably get 15-18,000 miles out of rear. I never wear out a front tire, I change front when I change back tire.
I would be running Dunlop Elite 4, but they are not available in OEM size for a 1300C

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Wow on the delivery time issue. A month or so ago, I placed an order for two bike tires with Rocky Mt. ATV at ~6:00 p.m. on a weekday (I think it was a Tuesday). I had the tires delivered to my door in western N. Carolina by noon the next day (about 18 hours from order placement to delivery). In the past it took maybe 2-3 days at most to receive the tires from Rocky Mt. ATV.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in an extremely rural area, NOTHING gets here overnight/next day lol.
Like I said I've used Rocky Mountain Atv in the past with zero issues and wouldn't hesitate to do so again.. For me Cycle Gear is faster shipping.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
867 Posts
I had to settle on Shinko 777's for my 1300S. I simply could not find that front tire size in any other brand while still having a matching set front/rear. But, they got decent reviews. We'll see.
I understand that. The "C" model uses a much narrower tire on the front and is a little hard to find, I can sympathize with you. All of the 1300's run the same rear tire in OEM size. Nothing wrong with ordering from 2 different vendors, usually a tire cost enough to ship free from just about everybody.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts