Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

new pipes ? jets

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  ride 
#1 ·
just got a vtx 1300c about 3 weeks ago and I'm in heaven.
To start I just orded a set of Roadburner 3" stepped street pro's. can't wait to here this sweet thing I'm hoppig that I don't have to jet at this point but if I do does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking Dynojet stage one's if it's not right but I guess that I'll just eye the plugs. any help is appreciated.

RIDE

#2 ·
If you don't change out anything in your airbox (filter, cover, etc.) then most likely you shouldn't have to re-jet. If you get decel popping with the new pipes and you don't like hearing it, you can remove/disable the PAIR valve and that usually cures the problem. Make sure to use new crush gaskets for the exhaust swap, and also make sure to torque the acorn nuts properly when you install them, as well as re-check the torque values after your first 200 miles or so.

I think you're going about it the right way. Install them, try it out and see how it does. Checking the plugs is fine; you'll probably know before you even check them how it's going to run with swapping out the pipes.

Any other questions just let us know. Lots of good people on this site.

#5 ·
Yep, what dirtdobber said. And not a dumb question at all. I've always believed one of the best ways you can learn is by asking questions.

Some people have to remove it or disable it (the PAIR valve) when they put aftermarket pipes on their x, due to an increased noticability of decel popping in the exhaust (the stock pipes have pretty restrictive baffles, so you really don't notice it much or at all with a completely stock set-up). Good luck and I'm sure the pipes will sound great; hope you like 'em.

#7 ·
The pair valve is under your fuel tank. If you're going to remove or disable it, I'd recommend just removing it completely. If it's not being used, why keep it on there? It should be mounted on the left side of the frame/pillar under the tank. If you decide to remove it, you will need to order a reed valve block off kit (which are just plates); this runs under $20 from places likes Baron's Customs. They come with instructions on what/how to do it, very easy to do as far as I'm concerned. You can also find detailed instructions and photos of this project on the vtxoa website (www.vtxoa.com).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

#8 ·
Hey guys, on a related note. I changed out stock exhaust with some after market slip ons (stock air filter, no rejet). Everything seems OK, except I do have a slight leak around the head pipe / slip on connection. This despite the adapters clamps etc.
Will this affect the back pressure and the fuel - air ratio, in other words can I be running the bike too lean with this small leak?
The pipes sound good, not like I am running straight pipes or anything and only rare occasional decel popping; I just don't want to overheat the engine and possibly cause harm.
By the way what causes decel "popping"?
Thanks
Mark

#9 ·
If it's just at the muffler, shouldn't really cause any major problems that would affect a/f ratio, etc. to any significant degree (at least I wouldn't think so). But, I guess you could always use something life muffler mender, etc. where the head pipe/slip on connect to seal up any leaks. The decel popping is usually caused with less restrictive aftermarket pipes or slip ons from either 1) a leak in the system (at head pipe connection to the jugs) or 2) from the PAIR valve being left functional. I'd start with trying to make sure that your solid first at the slip on/head pipe connection and see if that solves it first. Any leaks in the system will let it suck in cool external air, and it might be a fix to your problem.

#11 ·
hey retro,
got the pipes on last night man are they sweet!!!
ran it to work this mornin. checked the plugs tonite,
they look like new yet around the ceramic and the electrode there not white or black. there is black down in the bottom of the plug. it seems to run fine. really loud though. I quess those three inchers make the difference.small question : can that pair valve just be unhooked?

#12 ·
Mark,

Muffler mender is similar to JB Weld (cold-weld type of compound, but handles heat pretty well). There are several different brands, all are about the same. You can find it at most auto parts stores. That's the only thing I can think of that would seal up a leak (that is easy to use for the do-it-your-self-er) where the slip-on connects to the head pipe.

Ride,

Glad to head your happy with the pipes; yep, plugs should look good with just a pipe change out if you haven't modified/changedthe airbox. If the plugs are getting a light brown to them, that usually means you are right on with your jetting/AF ratio.

Are you getting a lot of decel "popping." If not (some people don't), then you don't really have to mess with the PAIR system. But, most that take it out of the equation usually notice a better sound (and usually louder) from their pipes. Yes, you can just "disable" the pair valve. Look on www.vtxoa.com and do a search in the 1300 tech tips section, should be able to find it pretty easily. But, to disbable it you have to remove the tank anyway to get to the lines for the reed valves (on top of the cylinder heads). My philosophy-spend the $13-20 for the reed valve block-off plates and take the whole mess out of there. The one thing I've read that you have to worry about just disabling it (which is basically just plugging the lines with bolts or vacuum seal caps) is a leak and build-up of condensation/moisture in the system, which is never good and can find it's way into other areas of the engine, etc. Basically, if you're not using it, why keep it on the bike? Just a thought.

Good luck, let us know if you have any other questions.

#13 ·
"loud"

hey Retro,
Ithink that I'll let the valve alone if it makes more noise,don't need that
these roadburner 3" street pros are really loud.
I'm kind of wishing that I would have went with a smaller pipe.
It's a really throaty sound,witch I love but, what a rumble.
wonder if they make different baffles? oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.