Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new rider and have decided to make a VTX1300 my first bike as I am 40 years old 6 foot and 235lbs. Going to look at a 05 VTX1300R tomorrow at a local bike shop. I was what are some things to look at, known "weak" areas?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,527 Posts
Rubber due to age. From the tires to the vacuum lines to the carb itself. Rubber gets old and cracks. Easy fixes.

Neck bearings in 1300 suck. Change to All Balls roller bearings.
Rubber shock bushings suck they oblong. Replace with 1800 model poly bushings. You can get those from dealer. Online is usually cheaper than local.

That's the main issues. Nothing major.

·
Registered
2005 1300 VTX S
16 Posts
i just boat a 2005 R\S this year, from what i learned there are no real issues with the bike in general other than what is mentioned above. the accessories will eat the cash long before the small mechanical fixes like PAIR valve removal, re-jetting and what not.

Make sure it has what you want or understand how much you will spend on those things:

Additional light bar for the front - $300
bags- $200 - $2k
front crash bar - $200+
rear crash bars - $100 - $200 from Poland(yes the country)
upgraded seat - Ultimate seat is like $500 +

In the end, Do IT! they are great bikes and I am very happy with mine and the way it rides

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
I lucked out and had a nice mustang seat, windshield, hard bags already on mine when I got it way back in 2012. The first thing to go was the exhaust. The stock exhaust is not appealing to me. Doesn't sound that great either. The prior owner drilled in to the baffle or whatever and it sounded bad. I got some Vance and Hines Big Shots and it really made it sound great! Still, one of the best sounding bikes I have heard. Mine was the same year and model as yours. The accessories will add up. I was pretty much obsessed with adding extra lights to make my visibility better for others, especially during the day time. I added photon blasters, P3 tail light, Glen's blinker bar, and some aftermarket additional riding lights I had wired up to a switch. With a lot of trial and error with a Baron's Ultimate light bar that broke twice, bolts that both broke off Glen's blinker bar, and finally I mounted to my highway bars which worked the best. At any rate, extra stuff will probably be where most of your cost is besides routine maintenance, oil, tires, stuff like that. Congrats on a great first bike! Welcome from SE PA!

·
Registered
2007 1300C
481 Posts
Nice bike, thank you for your service!

Reactions: JDKelly

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
You're gonna have some great miles ahead of you on your VTX! Miss mine, but happy with the new one, too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts