Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

New rider, new VTX owner, new to forum.

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Green Ghost 
#1 ·
Just wanted to chime in and say hello. I'm new to the forum and to bikes in general. 38 years old and the bug bit me so I'm knee deep in the MSF at the moment and just taking my time around my neighborhood practicing.

I would acknowledge that a 2004 1300 is not your typical first bike, but I love these bikes, cruisers in general and I don't regret it.

Anyway, I look forward to learning and participating and joining a community of people that I've already found to be overly friendly and helpful.

- James

#4 ·
Do you have floorboards? The first time you scrape em it will freak you out! A wise cyclist told me when cornering to look through the turn to the far side. Basically dont look directly in front of the bike. Man I'm thinking about mounting some spark blocks under the boards so I can shower sparks in the turns! LOL Learn to brake front and rear together. Got me outta a few jams! Ride Safe.

#5 ·
Yes, the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) basic rider's course is what I meant in my post. This is my final week of instruction before I get my permit stamped.

I don't have floorboards as mine is not a Retro, it's a 1300c, but my vice president has the floorboards on his 1300r and told me the same thing about scraping them on curves and how it startles him everytime.

rbbauer said:
Welcome the bug hit me at 46 Started out driving around the neighberhood around 4 months ago. Went on a 300 mile ride with my son yesterday. You may want to think about taking a safety course. I go in Sept. and looking forward to it. Have fun and enjoy

#7 ·
The bug got me about six months ago at 60. First bought a 97 Shadow 1100 and just got the 1300 C about a month ago. Love the bike. Changed the handdlebars to something more confortable. Next I am going to but a Mustange seat. Eventually floorboards. That should be it.
Good luck and ride safe.

#8 ·
I took the MSF course in May....went shopping and bought mu first bike.....VTX1300R .......now I have over 2900 miles on it...just came back from the Cleveland Clinic Teddy Bear Run.....thousands of bikes....held up traffic through Cleveland for around 45 minutes for us!! too much fun.....welcome and enjoy!!!! don't forget to practice...in an empty parking lot!! :choppersm

#10 ·
Welcome aboard. First off, taking the MSF course is one of the smartest things you can do as a rider. You're off to a good start with that, and you got yourself a GREAT bike. I've had mine since April and have put about 2000 miles on it this summer (lots of rain here or it woudl have been more). Just wait until you start customizing....so far, I've spent about 2x as much on parts as I have on payments - but the results are worth it.

Keep yourself safe and use what you learn in the class - we want you around! And, as always, if you have any questions, this is the place to ask them. Welcome aboard!

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum and the x-family. Big bike to start out with, but you made a great choice. Taking the MSF course is a great thing as well (I still need to do it!). You'll find that the 1300X is really well-balanced compared to a lot of cruisers out there (smaller and larger) and pretty easy to handle once you get into your comfort zone.

Safe riding!

#12 ·
Just Curious About The Msf Course.... Anything Said About Splitting Cars And Weaving In And Out Of Traffic? Or Do They Just Recommend Louder Pipes So People Can Hear You Coming? Just Curious, Im Trying To Convince My Buddy That Stupid Riders Get Killed For Being Stupid!! Welcome And Ride On!!!

#13 ·
Mudwomper, lane splitting was legal in Cali when I lived there. I started riding bikes when I was 19 in the Navy stationed there and have taken the MSF class 4 times (required at each base I was stationed). I believe the law says you can't go more than 10 miles faster than the traffic. Unfortunately, I now live in Florida and it's not legal here.

#14 ·
Lane-Splitting is still legal in Cali. How're the motor officers supposed to catch anyone sitting in traffic? :D

#15 ·
Im Just Curious What The Safety People Have To Say On The Subject. My Buddy Likes To Shoot Between Cars On The Freeway On His V-max. I Tell Him That He Is Going To Scare The Driver And Hes Going To "flinch" And Squish Him! Ive Almost Done It Do Idiots While In My Truck. Just Wondering What Msf Classes Say/recommend?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.