Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just bought my first motorcycle, a 2006 VTX 1300C, 11k miles. I have literally never ridden a motorcycle before. I have a new rider course scheduled in a couple of weeks. After that point, I will get geared up, and just ride in no traffic areas for a while until I get some basic skills going. I am 6'4", so a Rebel or any 500cc bike just wouldn't have worked for me. I know this is a bit of a big bike for a beginner, but I've had several recommend it as a great bike. I am 39 years old, also a pilot (a few thousand hours), and have not received even a single ticket in all of my years driving vehicles. So, I think I have what it takes to start onto the beginner's path to riding. Just going to take it slow, deliberate, and manage the risk very cautiously. I am well aware that this beautiful shiny bike can very easily kill me. Baby steps here!

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
Welcome. Where are you (and your bike :) ) located? You will find lots of great help here on the Cafe for any maintenance or modifications you want to do to the bike. A general recommendation is to change ALL fluids and to check the tire age. Old tires, even with lots of tread left, can be a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome man! The VTX is a fabulous, and even though its your first time, I think the VTX is very approachable for the displacement size. Just as you said, take it easy, and take your time to learn. I have a 2009 VTX1300C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What are your thoughts on continued parts availability on these considering they stopped making them a decade ago? I tend to get attached to things after I’ve personalized them and made them just how I like. If I still love this bike in 6 months, I’ll probably want to keep it for 15 years, lol. Since I have no experience with motorcycles, is it realistic to be able to source parts on this thing for the long haul, even aftermarket, perhaps even from bikes getting eventually scrapped (I believe they built thousands of these VTXs)?

I’m not saying I’ll never sell it or desire a different ride at some point, just want to feel good about the prospect that I can ride this motorcycle as long as I choose to, whether 1 year or 15 (assuming it doesn’t get wrecked first).

·
Registered
2007 1300C
558 Posts
I’m not saying I’ll never sell it or desire a different ride at some point, just want to feel good about the prospect that I can ride this motorcycle as long as I choose to, whether 1 year or 15 (assuming it doesn’t get wrecked first).
As long as you maintain the bike, no reason you can't be riding it for 15 years. Many bikes have over 100,000 miles, some over 200,000 miles and still on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe. Take the safety course and practice what they teach you. You will do fine. It’s a great bike for cruising outside the city limits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome... I did the same basically. I bought a 2006 1300R at 52 and started riding. Rode in the country around my house for a couple of months while watching a LOT of videos on the internet. I practiced specific things like all left turns or all right turns each evening. Took a MSF course. Rode more in the country on two-lane highways to get more used to the speeds. Took an advanced course with OHP about 45 days after my MSF course. Those guys were greatly helpful and encouraging. Moved onto 4 lane 75mph stuff and into small town traffic, just straight through town, then turns in traffic and stuff like that. Now I'm riding in slightly larger towns and all over SW Oklahoma. Someday I might feel like riding in a city. Even did 6 miles on gravel... no drops. If you can fly, you can ride. Just be paranoid and pretend you are on the tarmac in a LA and jumbo's are trying to run over you all the time. Head on a swivel, safety gear, look way ahead, look into turns. Stay within your skillset and comfort zone as much as possible. Stay safe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome the VTX is a great bike i have owned a lot of bikes in my life time these bikes are really good easy to work on if you have a problem with anything ask here and the people on this forum will help you they are the greatest bunch of people you will ever meet as for riding just watch the cars always give them the distance i worked for 30 years for the state the last 10 years in accident reconstruction texting number 1 cause of accidents when the State Police showed up the first thing they took for the cell phone of the driver the course will show you a lot good luck and be safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts