Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I'm a fan of the Ultimate seat but I need to sit on it to find out.
I checked out the Corbin Dual Tour, a Mustang and the Ultimate both version and settled on the low rider. I would suggest trying to find a few versions in your area from those of us who have them and get a feel for it first. I was heading down the Mustang path until I tried them all out.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
There are a few good seat builders around who are great seat builders vs buyng a Corbin, I've never heard any good response's from Corbin buyers.
Before you buy anything at all... go here and at least look around: www.robertdoerr.com There's a bunch of us here that are happily riding on his work.

I highly recommend you at least talk to Robert on the phone before making up your mind either way, he is a straight up guy who knows his way around building a custom seat to fit your needs. And... a whole bunch cheaper than any off the shelf seat to boot.

Here's some more reading for you... http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=47779

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I had 2 Corbins but I didn't like the way they sat and the way the fit around the tank. They rub the sides of the tan and can take the paint down doing it. They had to go. Robert has them, I'm sure he'd give you a good price on a modified one.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I have had Mustang & Ultimate...I am now riding on a seat Rebuilt By Robert...and all I can say is his custom seats are head and shoulders above either of the 2...You really should give him a call...he can do anything to a stock seat that you want...lower it, lift it..Move you up, back..make the seat wider..whatever you want he can do and the best part unlike Ultimate & Mustang..he doesn't use memory foam!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
No, don't get the Corbin. I have one that came on my bike when I bought it (used) and had to get it redone with memory foam. Couldn't ride out a tank of gas without stopping and getting off. If you're gonna plunk down 700-800 on a seat, for goodness sakes sit on some to see what you like first!

·
Registered
20 Posts
No to the Corbin for the 1800!!! I had a Corbin on my ACE 750 for 10 years and I loved it. When I bought my 2003 VTX 1800R it had the Corbin Dual Tour, I thought great!! This is one of the selling points. After a 3 hour ride I was disgusted with the seat! I shopped around and bought a Mustang, it is great. I have heard great things about Ultimate, but never sat on one. With Mustang or Ultimate, you cant go wrong!!!!

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I had a Corbin on my last bike and the only thing nice about it was that the backrest pulled out and could be used in the front or rear position... other than that, the dang seat was kind of hard on my rear...

I didn't buy one again for my current bike...that's all I'm saying....

Spoiler

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've seen quite a few posters also recommend this place very highly. I havent sent my seat there yet, because for some reason my stock seat doesnt bother my butt. anyway, if you want, check out www.meancitycycles.com

good luck, Bry

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
There are a few good seat builders around who are great seat builders vs buyng a Corbin, I've never heard any good response's from Corbin buyers.
Before you buy anything at all... go here and at least look around: www.robertdoerr.com There's a bunch of us here that are happily riding on his work.

I highly recommend you at least talk to Robert on the phone before making up your mind either way, he is a straight up guy who knows his way around building a custom seat to fit your needs. And... a whole bunch cheaper than any off the shelf seat to boot.

Here's some more reading for you... http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=47779
I have had Mustang & Ultimate...I am now riding on a seat Rebuilt By Robert...and all I can say is his custom seats are head and shoulders above either of the 2...You really should give him a call...he can do anything to a stock seat that you want...lower it, lift it..Move you up, back..make the seat wider..whatever you want he can do and the best part unlike Ultimate & Mustang..he doesn't use memory foam!!
+1 for Robert Doerr! :patriot:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Anothe Chime in for Robert Doerr

On my past VTX 1800 I had the saddlemen seats and tried them on our new one with out the same results. Then after reading about Robert on this site I gave him a call. He did our seat in Sebring and had a loaner seat for us to use while he worked on ours. Anyhow beyond having a seat that is custom it feels great. He also will rework the seat if it isn't working for you; he has a real desire to provide you with the seat you need v/s making a profit.:choppersm

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
On my past VTX 1800 I had the saddlemen seats and tried them on our new one with out the same results. Then after reading about Robert on this site I gave him a call. He did our seat in Sebring and had a loaner seat for us to use while he worked on ours. Anyhow beyond having a seat that is custom it feels great. He also will rework the seat if it isn't working for you; he has a real desire to provide you with the seat you need v/s making a profit.:choppersm
I totally agree... the time and effort Robert put's into his seats it's for sure not a profit thing for him by any means...Robert stands behind his work...if you aren't happy..he isn't happy...I know I am certainly glad he made his way to the Cafe!!!..My azz has been a whole lot happier ever since :bleh::bleh::choppersm

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I totally agree... the time and effort Robert put's into his seats it's for sure not a profit thing for him by any means...Robert stands behind his work...if you aren't happy..he isn't happy...I know I am certainly glad he made his way to the Cafe!!!..My azz has been a whole lot happier ever since :bleh::bleh::choppersm
Hi Georgia gal, i went to Robert's web page, but didnt see any prices. What is the price range on his rebuilt seats

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Hi Georgia gal, i went to Robert's web page, but didnt see any prices. What is the price range on his rebuilt seats
Hey Bry, His pricing really just depends on what you are wanting done...if you want gel pads front and back...or if you want animal skins, leather or vinyl...if you are wanting something special on the covering....His prices are great though...best thing to do with Robert is just give him a call....once you call him you will have a new best friend...lol He is truly a great guy!!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hey Bry, His pricing really just depends on what you are wanting done...if you want gel pads front and back...or if you want animal skins, leather or vinyl...if you are wanting something special on the covering....His prices are great though...best thing to do with Robert is just give him a call....once you call him you will have a new best friend...lol He is truly a great guy!!
Yup... with a custom seat there's no way to have a set price, once you talk to him he'll ask all the needed questions and then tell you all your options.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
well, you are one of his best advertising agents too :D So far my old butt hasnt had any complaints with the stock seat, maybe cuz my rides are sorta short, not usually over 3 hours, although we do stop and chill a time or two, usually for a coffee break. If i do any real long rides i'll have a better idea of what i need. thanks for the info :cool:
Bry

Yup... with a custom seat there's no way to have a set price, once you talk to him he'll ask all the needed questions and then tell you all your options.
Got that, Doug. my riding position is perfect, so thats not an issue, but i can ask him what he recommends for longer rides.
Thank you, and enjoy the weekend.
Bry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts