Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a 160 mile ride on Monday and for no good reason decided to change my spark plugs this morning. I have a NEW BIKE.

I bought my 02 1800C in Sept. 2008 with 19k miles on it. There are now 26K and it has always run great. I've had some issues with deceleration popping though and the bike always seemed a little pipey or touchy on the throttle. I figured, "Hey, this is an 1800cc engine with a PCIII and a hypercharger. Its just a hot bike.

This morning I put Bosch 4419 +4s in this baby, replacing the NGK IFR511s. The front plugs didn't look too good in fact. One looked a little fouled and the other a little burned. Yikes. The rear plugs looked like plugs that had been in use for a while but otherwise ok.

I AM AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE. This is the single most noticeable thing I've done the my bike. Now acceleration is smoother and little bumps in the road and the corresponding throttle twitch doesn't jerk the bike and when I decel its smooth and quiet. Power doesn't seemed diminished at all in fact roll on is smoother too. AMAZING !!!!!

I also bought a set of Bosch 4316 +2s and might try them out soon but I just wanna enjoy the 4419s for a while. Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone changed from 4419 to 4316 or visa versa and what did you notice?

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS A LONG TIME AGO?? I spent more time polishing the plug covers than I did actually changing the plugs.

Ride safe all.

:choppersm

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Don't quote me, but I believe the service intervals for 1800 plugs are at 12K,,, If your plugs were the 'originals', they were long overdue.

Also, the 02's were sent out with the NGK-IFR5L11 as OEM. The plug is actually a tad on the 'cold' side, and all years thereafter came out with NGK-IFR6L11 as OEM.

I think Wanderingbear runs the 4419's,,, Not sure what others he has tried.

I run OEM.
Glad ya got it runnin better!!! :choppersm

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Surely, you jest,,,

If you have never pulled them before, you should.

As Bear said, they do not 'automatically expire' at 12K, but you may be suprised at what replacement or a good cleaning will do for ya.

·
9,160 Posts
Just changed mine at 9,000 . . . . . original plugs looked perfect.

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
Book calls for change at 8k
Coopi

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
according to this post I should be on my 3rd set of plugs
Book calls for change at 8k
Coopi
Heh heh heh! Looks like you will be scheduled to install your FIFTH set pretty soon, tmichael!!!

I thought Dodges recommendation of changing all 16 plugs out on my Hemi every 30 thousand miles was a lot!

I see now its 16 plugs every 30K for the Hemi and,,,, we are supposed to be changing out what will be plugs #13, 14, 15, and 16 @ 32,000 miles on the X's!!!!!

Hmmmmm,,, :hmm2:

I'm beginning to think that Honda, Dodge, and the spark plug MFG's are in cahoots with each other!!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts