Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So new to the forum and also a new Honda owner. Bought bought a 2003 VTX 1300 from a neighbor that has been sitting for 6 years. Needing advice on what the main things I should check. and also where to go to get good deals on parts because I don't want to spend a Fortune going to the Honda dealership for parts.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Search this forum for more info. Some things to do are:
-Look at age of tires (date mark on side of all tires) and see if they have low tread or are cracked
-Change ALL fluids
-Empty gasoline and add fresh
-Add some Seafoam to new gas and run this through the carb/engine
-Check battery strength
-Replace stock seat - it is awful
-Clean carb including all little ports and jets
-Rejet carb and add Glen's permanent A/F screw
-Pair mod

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome FireEng76!

Totally agree with Vinish. To that I would add some safety updates.

1. The stock horn is weak. You need to be able to give texting soccer moms in mini-vans whiplash. I went with a pair of FIAMMs high & low tone horns (part numbers 72002 & 72112). They'll draw about 11 amps, which is more than the 10 amp circuit so I added a relay (Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A) plus a connector (Parts Express 330-075 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket For Bosch Type Relay) and an in-line fuse( MUYI 2 Set Mini Blade Fuse Holder 14 Gauge Waterproof Pigtail Inline Fuse Holder with 15A ATM Fuses) with a 15A fuse direct to the battery. There was a decent mounting point under my right side cover. All of that is available on Amazon. The horn switch only draws 0.9A for the relay and I didn't have to alter any of the existing wiring, just add to it. I think there's already a pretty good thread here for doing this. They really do wake up drivers! :cool:

2. There is only 1 rear running light. I converted my rear turn signals to turn signals plus running lights. Oddly, the front turn signals are already set up that way. I tapped the feed from my license plate light to power them. I just fitted a generic 1157 socket to the turn signal and it works well. I did it before LEDs were common. You may want to go brighter with LEDs.

3. If it's been sitting six years, get a new battery, period. If you don't ride during the winter, get a battery tender as well. The tender will buy your battery an extra year of life and you'll never be surprised by a dead battery from sitting. Amazon.com

4. I use a modulating (flashing) headlight. I really believe it adds safety but there are other points-of-view. If you're riding with a group be sure you know how to turn off the modulation cuz you'll likely piss some of them off. Ask me how I know :)
DIAMOND-STAR™ Black Wire HEADLIGHT MODULATOR Part No. 01013

5. I added a throttle lock so I can rest my throttle hand on long rides. Works well.

6. I added a cell phone mount and a power pod for it so I can use the GPS

7. My stock speedo reads about 10% faster than actual speed. Check it on a flat road against your cell phone GPS speedo so you know what your variance is.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I have replaced the battery and empty the bad fuel. I ordered a new petcock valve,fuel fillter and new fuel lines. Plan on pulling the carburetor off and taking it apart to clean it. I can't hear the whining of the fuel pump so I don't know if it is bad of not.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
The VTX1300 has a carburetor NOT a fuel pump. When you disassemble and clean the carb, make sure to keep the two small springs from the accelerator pump and the air shutoff valve clearly marked. They look the same but they have different spring constants and if you reassemble with the springs swapped, bad things happen.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
923 Posts
The VTX1300 has a carburetor NOT a fuel pump. When you disassemble and clean the carb, make sure to keep the two small springs from the accelerator pump and the air shutoff valve clearly marked. They look the same but they have different spring constants and if you reassemble with the springs swapped, bad things happen.
Didn't the first year 1300's have fuel pumps?

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Didn't the first year 1300's have fuel pumps?
Good point. I think I recall reading that they did. Did the ones with fuel pumps have a petcock? I do not know the answer to that. I also remember reading that some people had deleted the fuel pumps but I do not know what they did to replace them.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
923 Posts
Good point. I think I recall reading that they did. Did the ones with fuel pumps have a petcock? I do not know the answer to that. I also remember reading that some people had deleted the fuel pumps but I do not know what they did to replace them.
Yeah, I know nothing other than from what people report, that the 2003's had a fuel pump. I do think they do not have a petcock and when they do the fuel pump delete, they add the petcock.

EDIT (after posts below) I stand (sit) corrected. They DO have a petcock, just not a vacuum operated petcock.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
If correct that 1300s with a fuel pump do NOT have a petcock, then it would appear that the O.P.'s bike does NOT have a fuel pump since he says in post #4 in this thread, "I ordered a new petcock valve..."

·
Registered
2007 1300C
729 Posts
The 2003 1300 had a fuel pump, it also had a fuel petcock, just not a vacuum operated petcock

Reactions: SPARKY5151

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Okay. That issue is resolved. Sorry for my confusion.

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Too bad we didn't know ahead of time or we could have suggested that you replace the old petcock with a vacuum petcock and ditch the fuel pump as they frequently cause problems!!!! That is why Honda only installed fuel pumps on the 2003 model and not the rest!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts