Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i need to change out the triple trees if i want to add 4" fork extensions and if i do a straight post 8" riser and a straight or slight V-bar handle bar. i'm working on getting my bike to fit me im 6'8" 230 any suggestions are also appreciated

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Moyock, NC. I"m only 5'4" so I had the problem of needing more pull back and reach. I can tell you that 4 or 5 inches of risers is about the max you can get without rerouting your cables or having to replace the cables. I know that several members have had their seats modified to adjust their position and that may be an option as well. Robert Doerr of A2Z upholstery (may have the name wrong) or Alan at Mean City Cycles are both members here and do a very large number of seat mods.
Good luck and post some pics when you get her done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will be posting pics soon

so a seat mod huh i though about that but wasn't sure how it would work, i will be looking into that shortly.

any ideas on fork extensions if i need to replace the triple trees

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
You do not need to replace the tree to add extensions.

Not sure that that would do for you - Risers and seats and handle bars would probably be a better idea in IMHO but then again - I dont have the fitment problems you are having!

I added extensions due to a change in rake.

As the other members said - There are alot of good Seat upholstery options and handle bar options out there.

Good luck with your choice and Welcome!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you a super great day. :patriot:

·
9,160 Posts
:eek: 6'8" :eek: DAMN! You'll probably have to mount highway pegs on the front fender! :D

I have the PhatRisers III from scootworks. They provide 5 inches of pullback and I love them. You'll have to reroute the cables behind the tree and redistribute the front brake line but it works for me.

Welcome to the Cafe from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
:eek: 6'8" :eek: DAMN! You'll probably have to mount highway pegs on the front fender! :D

I have the PhatRisers III from scootworks. They provide 5 inches of pullback and I love them. You'll have to reroute the cables behind the tree and redistribute the front brake line but it works for me.

Welcome to the Cafe from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave
If the man is six foot eight, i doubt he needs any pull backs to reach the handlebars. Heck, he could sit on the passenger seat and probably reach them just fine. He will probably need to go to some forward controls though, just for the same sort of riding comfort that us shorter guys have on the vtx.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i actually bought a VTX just because it came with the forward controls. my main concern is if i extend the forks to get the tire pushed out a little and make it so i have more room for pegs and when i hang my feet out over the pegs. as far as handle bars im thinking huge apes with no pull back anyone have apes and can give some advice.

·
PURE ROCK FURY
281 Posts
welcome to the cafe from western michigan!:cheers:
There are a few guys on here with apes Im sure someone will chime in.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
i actually bought a VTX just because it came with the forward controls. my main concern is if i extend the forks to get the tire pushed out a little and make it so i have more room for pegs and when i hang my feet out over the pegs.
Just adding extensions to the tubes won't put the wheel out there enough to get you more leg room, you'd have to go with a different rake to move the wheel out far enough to notice a change. I'd bet a 6* won't be enough so you'll probably need to go with a 45* kit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
doug48317
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing