Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to a vtx. I have a 2007 vtx1300, previously rode a 1996 Kawasaki vn750. I was just inquiring of the "quirks"of the bike and if there is anything I should now.
Thanks in advance, Levi.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee and wishing you well. :patriot:

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from the sunny central valley in California. Enjoy the Addiction!

Very nice looking bike, I can't comment on the legs though, maybe one of our female riders on here can comment on that!!!!
:stirpot::14:

Gotta love Chrome!!!!!

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome, from the east Texas Piney Woods

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
285 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Hello,
I am new to a vtx. I have a 2007 vtx1300, previously rode a 1996 Kawasaki vn750. I was just inquiring of the "quirks"of the bike and if there is anything I should now.
Thanks in advance, Levi.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, neck bearings are notoriously bad, to test find a relatively smooth strip of lightly traveled road. Run the bike up to about 40 mph, remove your hands from the bar but hover over it and let it decel down to 25mph, if the bars begin to shimmy (the dreaded death wobble) then the steering bearings need to be replaced with All Balls Tapered Roller Bearings. If it doesn't wobble and it has more than 5,000 miles on it then congratulations you are the only owner of a 1300 who still has a good set of Schwinn bicycle bearings on their 1300 in the world.

If the bike has over 10,000 miles on it and the final drive splines have not been serviced they should be (every ~ 10,000 miles). You will need to pull the rear wheel and clean and add molly PASTE (not grease) to the drive splines (inside the rear hub on the left rear) and the driven splines (on the left side of the rear tire). While you are at it probably a good idea to drain and refill the final drive gear case.

Check the condition of your brake fluid, front reservoir and rear reservoir. If the fluid is cloudy it needs to be replaced.

That should be a good start!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
SPARKY5151
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing