Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm often times too picky and particular, which really tends to limit my possibilities, but I'll give this a try anyway....

My ride is an '02 1800C.

Here's what I want...a set of saddlebags.

I've done my research....lots of it. But here's the twist - I have the Paladin quick-detachable backrest and am having a heck of a time finding bags/mounts to work without MUCH fabrication. But if it takes some modification, that's fine because I'm no stranger to that.

I'm hoping to find something that's big, keeps its shape, is a wedge or teardrop design, no studs, and would run me around $300 or less with brackets. I've seen some that have cutouts for the shocks, but I'm not sure I'll need that feature because of the sissy bar that I use, which I'm assuming will push the bags out a bit further from the bike than a permanently mounted backrest.

So that's it really... I'm heading to Sturgis in August and would like to have something mounted up by then. So if anyone has any experience mounting bags like this with the Paladin backrest, I'd love to hear from you. Maybe some pictures too, if you have them? And your recommendations for mounting brackets would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for reading this long-winded post.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
These are my saddleman studded teardrop with the shock cutaway. As long as you drill them yourself you can mount them anyway you want. I like the cutaway because it gives the C a sleeker look. However they are not as big as some other bags out there and the cutaway takes away some of the inside space too. I don't see how your backrest would make that much difference you just have to decide what fender rail holes will work with the bags and get a bracket that will work. The hardware you can get at Ace or Fastenall.

some pics

matching luggage available too

It's all available with or without studs. I have mine hard mounted through the 1st and 3rd bolt holes (from the seat). My Cobra sissy bar mounts though the 2nd and 3rd hole. So I dont have a quick release option but I leave them on all the time anyway. It's a bit of a PITA when I take them off to wash the bike or for getting to the rear wheel though. But as many times as I've done it I'm pretty quick about it now. dirtdobber had a good idea though that I just havent put into practice yet and that was to enter my bolts in from inside the fender and through the bags instead of the other way around. Then put an acorn nut on the bolts on the inside of the bags. So when I want them off I can just take off the acorn nut and slide the bags off the bolts and then slide them back on. I'll get around to it one day. I'll just have to get some longer bolts and acorn nuts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks hawkvtx. Those look nice. Coincidentally, I have the same sissy bar bag that you do, minus the studs. So maybe the matching saddlebags would look nice.

A couple questions though... First, what brackets are you using? I'm asking because I want the bags to lay flat, not angle away from the bike like some I've seen. Yours look like they are straight up-and-down. Second, is there a reason that the bags couldn't be deeper? It looks like you have a bunch of room under the bags before they'd hit your exhaust which to me looks like wasted space. Is it because of the suspension travel? OK, OK....that was 3 questions, sorry.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
1. I'm using saddleman brackets that came with the bags. However depending on how your going to mount yours there are all kinds of brackets available. The ones I'm using angle out and hold the bags up pretty straight. You can see the bracket angle and the bag position better in this pic:

2. No. no reason they couldn't be a little deeper I suppose. Those are just the dimensions of those particular bags. I was actually going more for looks than space when I chose them.

3. You'ld really have to bottom the bike out pretty hard to hit my pipes although some other pipes might have issues with bag size and suspension travel. I don't with mine. The cutaway allows you to position them more forward on the bike so relocating the turn signals wasn't neccessary either.

Oh and one other thing. Because the bags fit so snug to the seat I have to take them off to get to the seat bolts. Which is also a PITA. Experience has taught me to do any under-the-seat maintenence while I have them off. Everytime I take them off to wash the bike I go ahead and take the seat off and check my battery connections.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks hawkvtx. Those look nice. Second, is there a reason that the bags couldn't be deeper? It looks like you have a bunch of room under the bags before they'd hit your exhaust which to me looks like wasted space. Is it because of the suspension travel?
The bags and pipes will always travel together- only the wheel is suspended. No worries on the distance, except to clear the basic vibrations of the road. :choppersm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts