Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S-10 pickup has developed electrical problems and I'm tired of throwing money at it. I took over payments on it for my brother when he joined the Army. Didn't really want it because it's an automatic, and I HATE automatic transmissions. Thay are pure evil.

Anyway, I found an ad for a 89 Toyota reg cab, 4 cyl, 4wd, 5 speed. I went and looked at it this morning and it's a little rough, but it runs great and it's roadworthy as is.. I have to wait until this afternoon for the guy to get the title in hand, but it's gonna be mine!

I'm finally getting a Toyota truck, had to share.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good on ya, Toyota and Nissan pickups can last a long long time. I myself kept a nissan for close to 700 thousand miles, no joke, no lie, just fact..
Hope your truck is good to you too!
Bry:choppersm

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Congrats... hope you enjoy it
Back in the 80's I had a 79 4x4 with 36" mudders, I loved that truck and sure wish I still had it. Until I had to sell it for some quick needed cash, that thing would drive me to work everyday and play in the swamps every weekend without ever letting me down. (and it damn near floated with those tires,lol)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woohoo! I got it home. I pulled into the gas station a mile from my house and realized I was on the wrong side of the pumps. So I get back in,,,,,,,,,, and she won't crank! I think the battery is just too weak. It's been sitting for some time. The owner wasn't driving it, in fact he never even sent the title off. His buddy had to sign it over to me.
Me, a buddy, and my father in law pushed it off and it fired right up. Gonna steal the battery from my S-10 tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.
It needs some work, but it's a decent truck, my kind of truck, one you don't have to worry about scratching. Lol.
The left rear shock is broken. Both doors have no interior panels, and are gutted. The drivers door window is up and wedged in so it doesn't fall. The ignition switch is messed up, there's no key, just a screwdriver to turn it with.
On the plus side, it has 33x12.50 tires on it, and I have a better set on my old Blazer that I'm gonna put on it. I'm going to put a hidden toggle and a starter button on it. And I might be able to use the rear shocks off the Blazer too. Oh, and I have to pump the brakes to make them work, but I can figure that part out. It's just electrical problems that I have trouble with.

Anyway, here's the pics...............

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Congrats on the Truck!
Just becareful with those brakes the unplanned stops are the ones that will get ya!:eek:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My luck has taken a turn for the better. The starting problem is in the broken ignition switch. If I turn it all the way it won't start. Turn it slowly, and there is a sweet spot, and it'll fire right up.
A guy called a little while ago and he's coming to look at the S-10 tomorrow. Maybe he'll buy it, and I'll have some cash to spend on my Toyota.

While changing the tires I found that I not only have a broken shock on the left rear, one of the leaf springs is broken too. Gonna make a trip to the junkyard tomorrow and see what I can find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts