Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2009 VTX1300R about a month and a half ago that was a left over bike being sold new. Have been riding a Ducati Monster for a year or so and wanted something to cruise with the wife.

Unfortunately I managed to get into an accident on a freeway offramp with about 105 miles on it. Think I should have changed the 3 year old tires as I lost control, got traction again, and then still slid when trying to slow down from about 65 to avoid a two car accident.. definetly my fault but thankfully only a broken collar bone and about 4k in repairs for the insurance company to manage.

Wanted to get on the forum and hear about some of the fun I will be having with it once it's back ready to ride again.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike and your collar bone. I think someone should have explained that breaking in a bike is only a figure of speach.

Take the $$ that the ins co. will give you and do the work yourself, there is enough knowledge here to help you rebuild. If they live close some will come and help. Take the money you save and buy some tires...

And welcome to the cafe.

·
A guy with a bike.
1,790 Posts
Yes, do the work yourself. I'm lame at working on a bike but have found it's not that hard. There are lots of helpful people here. You'll get the help you need.

Wish I'd been a rider when I lived in San Diego. What a great city to own a bike in. I attended PLNU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought of doing the work myself but still not moving the arm after surgery and want the bike back working when I am. The big cost items were the gas tank, fender, seat and exhaust and I got them to throw in new tires of course.

San Diego is a good place to ride but think I'll stay out of rush hour traffic for the next couple hundred miles.

·
A guy with a bike.
1,790 Posts
Thought of doing the work myself but still not moving the arm after surgery and want the bike back working when I am. The big cost items were the gas tank, fender, seat and exhaust and I got them to throw in new tires of course.

San Diego is a good place to ride but think I'll stay out of rush hour traffic for the next couple hundred miles.
Sorry you were injured.

I was on Nimizt Blvd one day in my Subaru Brat. I changed lanes from right to left and boom out of nowhere hit a rider. His right foot peg put a hole just under my drivers door. I have no idea how he didn't go down. We both pulled over and assessed the minimal damage to his bike. He asked for a couple hundred bucks cash and gave me long line of expletives but didn't call the cops or run it through my insurance.

San Diego is beautiful but it can be dangerous. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Welcome aboard from SE Texas! :cheers: If you're interested check out the following thread. It would be a good way to meet another Cafe member.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=27950
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,200 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from North Idaho

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome from New Hampsire and sorry to hear about the accident. You might want to take the opportunity to upgradie your seat from stock. Check the forum about seats, mustang, ultimate, corbin etc... Not sure what's left of your stock seat but most good upholsterers can upgrade them, then there's Robert Doer and Mean city cycles.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. Will check it out.

The freeways here are kind of a jungle.. but great riding out east on the weekends.

Welcome from New Hampsire and sorry to hear about the accident. You might want to take the opportunity to upgradie your seat from stock. Check the forum about seats, mustang, ultimate, corbin etc... Not sure what's left of your stock seat but most good upholsterers can upgrade them, then there's Robert Doer and Mean city cycles.
Not a bad idea. The stock seat isn't that great but wanted to try it on a longer ride before I replaced it. But from what I am reading on here probably best just to change it while I can get insurance to pay.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee Andrew and wishing you a great day. :patriot:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome from Grover Beach, CA..
You will definitely want to change the stock seat.. Might as well do it now that its covered. Heal quicky and have some fun riding!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome from Elkhart, Indiana!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
welcome from pittsburgh pa
sorry to hear about your crash

1 - 20 of 24 Posts