Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2007 VTXR 1300 and it did not come with a manual or any info. Does someone know how many gallons it takes to fill up?
:hmm2: Also this is the first time I have a bike with out a gas gauge. When I fill up the tank do i need to keep the reserve open so it fills in there too?

·
Ride, eat, sleep...repeat
566 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe' and greetings from Northern Indiana. Someone here will have an answer for you. I have a '03 1800S and it has a low fuel light.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Moyock, NC. No you do not need to do anything different for fueling though. My understanding is the reserve tank is actually just taking the fuel from a lower section in the tank. I'm sure you will get answers with the more technical and correct descriptions soon.

·
Chap Dawg
236 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Your fuel capacity is about 4.8 gallons including the reserve.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Florida. The reserve is just the lower part of the tank, it will always fill with a regular fillup. You don't need to do anything. Now when you go for a ride be sure the petcock in inn the main(not reserve) position. When it's time to switch over the bike will begin to flutter because of lack of gas flow. Reach down and swith the petcock to the reserve mode. Start looking for a station to refill at.

Fill the tank on your next ride and rest the trip meter. Ride until you need to switch over and notr the mileage. After that you can figure the miles before you need to fill up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Welcome to the VTX Cafe from the Gulf Coast.

I just purchased a 2007 VTXR 1300 and it did not come with a manual or any info. Does someone know how many gallons it takes to fill up?
:hmm2: Also this is the first time I have a bike with out a gas gauge. When I fill up the tank do i need to keep the reserve open so it fills in there too?
I just purchased a 2007 VTXR 1300 and it did not come with a manual or any info.
Owners Manual: Remove the side cover on the left side of your bike you will see a black box with key slot on bottom you can use the ignition key, or flat blade screw driver to open it. Inside you will find a user manual in a plastic bag, and a small blue plastic pouch with a couple of tools in it.

Does someone know how many gallons it takes to fill up?
The tanks holds approximately 4.3 gallons give or take a little for expansion and contraction. If you fuel sitting a stride of the bike and hold it up straight you will get a little more when fueling up.

Each time you fuel up you should reset your trip meter “A” to “0”, you can do the same with meter “B” or just let it keep a running total to keep track of when it is time for next service.

When I fill up the tank do i need to keep the reserve open so it fills in there too?
The reserve tank doesn’t work like that, when you fuel up it equalizes inside the tank. The reserve section has a baffle that separates this small level of fuel that is accessible when the pit cock is switched to reserve.

Order yourself a service manual and learn all about your bike.
Clymer Honda VTX1300 Series 2003-2009
Price:$24.39 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Clymer-VTX130...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307325401&sr=8-1

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Welcome from Idaho...

You can also get a service manual "free" just by downloading it here on the Cafe....

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Look behind the left rear side cover in the black tool box- the manual might be in there.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Welcome to The Cafe from sunny Shelby, NC (The Livermush Capital of the Free World)

-Ride Safe

Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from South Georgia. :patriot:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts